Alex Tang in Washington, DC
Updated 14 February 2019
Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atang_dcNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM.
Pianist ALEX TANG has performed at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, Source Theatre, National Gallery of Art, Wolf Trap, Strathmore, and with numerous other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of Mamma Mia!, Cats, Cabaret (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), Big River, Hairspray, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Disney's Beauty & The Beast, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Matilda, Something Rotten!, Les Misérables, Anastasia, and Miss Saigon, for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb (Over & Over), Michael John LaChiusa (The Highest Yellow, Giant), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey (If/Then, w/Idina Menzel), for TV/Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen (Fame, Sweet Charity), Michael Rupert (Falsettos), Laura Osnes (Cinderella), Elaine Paige (London's West End), John Raitt (Carousel), Laura Benanti (Gypsy, Sound of Music, She Loves Me), Anthony Rapp (Rent), Heidi Blickenstaff (Little Mermaid, [title of show]), Nicholas Rodriguez (Tarzan, One Life to Live), Ali Stroker (Glee Project, Spring Awakening), Cheyenne Jackson (Xanadu, Glee), Tony Yazbeck (On The Town), Erika Henningsen & Kyle Selig (Mean Girls), Alex Brightman (Beetlejuice, School of Rock), Il Divo (feat. Lea Salonga) and for the pre-Broadway tryouts of Kander & Ebb's The Visit (Signature, w/Chita Rivera, George Hearn) and the revival of Gigi (Kennedy Center). He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra (Passion, with Michael Cerveris, Judy Kuhn) for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of Last Five Years (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of Urinetown (Signature), and Adding Machine: A Musical and Passing Strange (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, also producing their premiere CD. He also regularly plays open mics and performances with the D.C. Cabaret Network, La-Ti-Do (musical theater and spoken word cabaret), and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, whom he accompanied on their historic concert tour of Cuba. In addition, he is staff pianist for the American Pops Orchestra. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
- SongSpeak: Blog of the DC Cabaret Network
- Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC
- The American Pops Orchestra
Current and upcoming
- RECURRING: Mons., starting Jan. 7, 2019, 7-9pm: Rehearsal pianist for Potomac Fever, an ensemble of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington,DC, Music Suite, National Capital City Church, Thomas Circle, Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Suns., Feb. 3-Apr. 7, 2019, 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist, Friday Morning Music Club Chorale (Opera Meets Broadway), Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Tues., Feb. 12, through Sat., Apr. 27, 2019: Weekly piano rehearsals (Tues. 7-10pm, Sat. 10am-1pm), SIDE SHOW, Theatre Lab (see below).
- Sat., Feb. 16, 2019, 6:30-9:30pm: Orchestra read, MAMMA MIA!, Madeira School (see below).
- Sun., Feb. 17, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Mon., Feb., 18, 2019, 1:30-6pm: Orchestra tech rehearsal, MAMMA MIA!, Madeira School (see below).
- Tues.-Wed., Feb. 19-20, 2019, 6-9:30pm: Dress rehearsals, MAMMA MIA!, Madeira School (see below).
- Thurs.-Fri., Feb. 21-22, 2019, 7:30pm & Sat., Feb. 23, 2019, 1pm: Keyboards, MAMMA MIA!, Madeira School, 8328 Georgetown Pike, McLean, Virginia 22102. Tickets (cash only): $10 ($5 students).
- Sun., Feb. 24, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Mon., Feb. 25, 2019, 8pm: Guest accompanist, "The Asians Are Awesome," kickoff performance for new monthly series to feature DC/MD/VA Asian musical cabaret and spoken word talent, presented by La-Ti-Do DC, at Le Mirch (Indian Restaurant), 1736 Connnecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle (Red Line)). Gen'l admission: $20.
- Sat., Mar. 9, 2019, 8pm: Pianist/conductor for "NextGen: Finding The Voices of Tomorrow," vocal competition sponsored by the American Pops Orchestra and the National Society of Arts & Letters, at Arena Stage (Kreeger Theater), 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront-SEU (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: 10am-1:30pm, 3-6pm.)
- Sun., Mar. 10, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Thurs., Mar. 14-Sun., Mar. 24, 2019: Keyboards, premiere of "The Watsons Go To Birmingham--1963" (Theater for Young Audiences), Eisenhower Theater, Kennedy Center, 2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Foggy Bottom-GWU (Blue/Orange/Silver Lines)). (Rehearsals: Fri. 1/4 @ 1-4p; Mon. 3/11 @ 10:30-1:30p; Wed. 3/13 @ 2-5, 7-10p; Th. 3/14 @ 3-6p).
- Sun., Mar. 31, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., Apr. 6, 2019, 8pm: American Pops Orchestra, Music of Luther Vandross, THEARC (Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Campus), 1901 Mississippi Ave SE, Washington, DC 20020, (Metrorail: Southern Ave. (Green Line)). (Rehearsal: Sat. 4/6 @ 2-6pm.)
- Sun., Apr. 14, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Thurs.-Sun., Apr. 25-28, 2019 (tentative): Keyboards for Kennedy Center concert musical production.
- Mon.-Wed. eves., Apr. 29-May 1, 2019: Dress rehearsals, SIDE SHOW (see below).
- Thurs.-Sat., May 2-4 & 9-11, 2019: Pianist-conductor, SIDE SHOW, Theatre Lab, Calvary Baptist Church, 755 8th Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red, Yellow, Green Lines)). (Rehearsals: Feb.-May @ Tues. 7-10pm & Sats. 10a-1pm; dress Wed. eve., 5/1, & brush-up Wed. 5/8.)
- Sun., May 12, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., May 18, 2019, 8pm: American Pops Orchestra, I Am What I Am: Music of Jerry Herman, Fichandler Theatre, Arena Stage, 1101 6th Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront-SEU (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Thurs. 5/16 @ 7-9:30p, Fri. 5/17 @ 7-10pm, Sat. 5/18 @ 3-6pm.)
- TENTATIVE: Thurs., July 18, through Sat., Sept. 7, 2019 (specific peformance dates/times TBD): Keyboard sub, national Broadway tour of Disney's ALADDIN, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC.