Alex Tang in Washington, DC
Updated 11 December 2019
Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atang_dcNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM.
Pianist ALEX TANG has performed at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, Source Theatre, National Gallery of Art, Wolf Trap, Strathmore, and with numerous other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of Mamma Mia!, Cats, Cabaret (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), Big River, Hairspray, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Disney's Beauty & The Beast, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Matilda, Something Rotten!, Les Misérables, Anastasia, and Miss Saigon, for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb (Over & Over), Michael John LaChiusa (The Highest Yellow, Giant), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey (If/Then, w/Idina Menzel), for TV/Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen (Fame, Sweet Charity), Michael Rupert (Falsettos), Laura Osnes (Cinderella), Elaine Paige (London's West End), John Raitt (Carousel), Laura Benanti (Gypsy, Sound of Music, She Loves Me), Anthony Rapp (Rent), Heidi Blickenstaff (Little Mermaid, [title of show]), Nicholas Rodriguez (Tarzan, One Life to Live), Ali Stroker (Glee Project, Spring Awakening, Oklahoma!), Cheyenne Jackson (Xanadu, Glee), Santino Fontana (Frozen, Tootsie), Tony Yazbeck (On The Town), Erika Henningsen, Kyle Selig & Ashley Park (Mean Girls), Corey Cott (Newsies), Alex Brightman (Beetlejuice, School of Rock), Beth Malone (Fun Home), Il Divo (feat. Lea Salonga) and for the pre-Broadway tryouts of Kander & Ebb's The Visit (Signature, w/Chita Rivera, George Hearn) and the revival of Gigi (Kennedy Center). He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra (Passion, with Michael Cerveris, Judy Kuhn) for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of Last Five Years (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of Urinetown (Signature), and Adding Machine: A Musical and Passing Strange (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, also producing their premiere CD. He also regularly plays open mics and performances with the D.C. Cabaret Network, La-Ti-Do (musical theater and spoken word cabaret), and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, whom he accompanied on their historic concert tour of Cuba. In addition, he has served as staff pianist for the American Pops Orchestra and on the faculty of The Theatre Lab. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
- SongSpeak: Blog of the DC Cabaret Network
- Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC
- The American Pops Orchestra
- The Theatre Lab (School of the Dramatic Arts)
Current and upcoming
- RECURRING: Suns., Nov. 10, 2019-Jan. 12, 2020 (exc. 12/22, 12/29, 1/5 (orch only)), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Verdi Requiem), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sat., Nov. 23 @ 2pm, and Sun., Dec. 1, & Wed., Dec. 18, 2019, @ 7:30pm: Keyboard 2 sub, Newsies, Arena Stage, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Audit: Fri. 11/15 & Thurs. 11/21.)
- Thurs., Dec. 12, 2019, 7:30pm: Accompany "Gay Apparel 2," a holiday cabaret featuring Stephen Gregory Smith and Kara-Tameika Watkins, Creative Cauldron, 410 South Maple Street #116, Falls Church, VA. Tickets: $22 (Seniors/Military $20, Students $18); tables for 2 with wine $60 (for 4, $120). (Rehearsal: Sat. eve. 11/30.)
- Fri., Dec. 13, 2019 early eve.: Accompany master class, Cara Transtrom (LaVoce Studios), NW Washington, DC.
- TENTATIVE: Sat., Dec. 14, 2019, 12-2:30pm: Accompany master class (Rick Eidinger, Carnegie-Mellon Univ.), for Southeastern Summer Theatre Institute, at Theatre on the Run, 3700 S. Four Mile Run, Arlington, VA.
- Sat., Dec. 14, 2019, 6-9pm: Play private holiday reception, NW Washington, DC.
- Tues., Dec. 17, 2019 - Sun., Jan. 19, 2020: Keyboard sub, My Fair Lady (national tour), Kennedy Center (Opera House), 2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Foggy Bottom-BWU (Blue/Silver/Orange Lines)). Currently scheduled to play Sat. or Sun. 12/21 or 12/22, and 12/28 or 12/29.
- Sun., Dec. 29, 2019, 11am: Substitute pianist, Dumbarton United Methodist Church, 3133 Dumbarton Street NW (Georgetown), Washington, DC 20007. (202) 333-7212.
- Tues., Dec. 31, 2019, 8:30pm: Pianist, American Pops Orchestra, New Year's Eve at the Kennedy Center: A Tribute to Aretha Franklin, Concert Hall, Kennedy Center, 2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Foggy Bottom-GWU (Blue/Orange/Silver)). Featuring: Dionne Warwick, Michelle Williams, Morgan James, Nova Payton, Rayshun LaMarr, Bria Skonburg. Tickets: $79-139. (Rehearsals: Mon. 12/30, 2-5, 7-10pm; Tues. 1-2:30 (piano only), 3-5pm).
- RECURRING: Suns., Jan. 5, 19, & 26, 2020, 11am: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Mons., Jan. 6-Jun. 1, 2020, 7-9pm: Rehearsal pianist, Potomac Fever, select a cappella ensemble of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC.
- Sun., Jan. 12, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- TENTATIVE: Fri., Jan. 17, 2020, 8:30pm-11:30pm: Accompany cabaret rehearsal and performance (runner-up finalists for Musical Theatre Intensive scholarship), Region 2 Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival #52, University of Maryland--College Park, Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, 8270 Alumni Dr, College Park, MD 20742.
- Fri., Feb. 7, 2019, 8pm: Pianist/music director, "Hearts & Darts IV: Another Valentine's Celebration with a Twist," Maggie's Cabaret series to benefit homeless services and ministries, St. Margaret's Episcopal Church, 1830 Conn. Ave., NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle (Red Line)). Suggested donation: $20.
- Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Tues., Feb. 11-Sun., Mar. 8, 2020: Substitute player, Keyboard 2, Broadway national tour of WICKED, Hippodrome Theatre, 12 N Eutaw St, Baltimore, MD 21201. (Rehearsals/audit: 2/11, 2/12.)
- RECURRING: Suns., Feb. 16-Mar. 29, 2020, 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (lighter fare program TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sat., Mar. 7, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sun., March 29, 2020, 8pm: Pianist/conductor, American Pops Orchestra, 3rd Annual NextGen Vocal Competition, Arena Stage, Kreeger Theater, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Fri. aft. 3/27, Sat. morn. 3/28, Sat. aft. 3/29.)
- Sun., Apr. 5, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Suns., Apr. 26-June 22, 2020 (exc. 5/24), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Leavitt Requiem et al. TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sun., May 17, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., May 30, 2020, 3pm & 8pm: Pianist, American Pops Orchestra, Comedy Tonight, Arena Stage, Fichandler Stage, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Thurs. 5/28 aft., Fri. 5/29 aft./eve.)
- TENTATIVE: Thurs., June 25 - Sun., July 5, 2020: Keyboards, MAMMA MIA!, produced by Signature Theatre at The Anthem, 901 Wharf St SW, Washington, DC 20024 (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line) or L'Enfant Plaza (Yellow/Green/Blue/Orange/Silver Lines)). Performances: Tues.-Wed. @ 7:30p, Thurs.-Sat. @ 8pm, Sun. @ 7pm, matinees Sat./Sun. & Fri. 7/3 @ 2pm; no performances Mon. 6/29, Sat. 7/4.
- Sun., Sept. 27, 2020, 1 & 6pm: Pianist and music director, annual cabaret, Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, at City Winery, 1350 Okie St. NE (Ivy City), Washington, DC (Metrorail: Rhode Isl. Ave.-Brentwood (Red Line), then 1.3 mile walk), (202) 250-2531. (Rehearsals: Suns., 8/16-9/20.)