Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atangNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM
Pianist ALEX TANG has performed at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, and with numerous other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of Mamma Mia!, Cats, Cabaret (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), Big River, Hairspray, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Disney's Beauty & The Beast, White Christmas, and Les Misérables, for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb (Over & Over), Michael John LaChiusa (The Highest Yellow, Giant), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey (If/Then, w/Idina Menzel), for Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen, Michael Rupert, John Raitt, Laura Benanti, Anthony Rapp, Heidi Blickenstaff, and The Glee Project's Ali Stroker, and for the pre-Broadway tryouts of The Visit (Kander & Ebb) and Gigi (Kennedy Center). He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of Last Five Years (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of Urinetown (Signature), and Adding Machine: A Musical and Passing Strange (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, also producing their premiere CD. He also regularly plays open mics and performances with the D.C. Cabaret Network, La-Ti-Do (musical theater and spoken word cabaret), and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, whom he accompanied on their historic concert tour of Cuba. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
Current and upcoming
Suns., Nov. 1, 8, 15, 22, Dec. 6, 13, & 20, Jan. 3, & 10, 2016, 1:30-4pm:
Rehearsal accompanist for winter concert (Bach Wachet auf
cantata, Brahms Requiem
, Leavitt Magnificat
), Friday Morning Music Club Chorale
, Church of the Reformation
, 212 East Capitol Street, NE, 20003 (Metrorail: Capitol Hill South (Orange/Blue Line) or Union Station (Red Line)). See also
Jan. 14, 2016, listing.
- Mons., Nov. 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2015, 8-10pm: Featured pianist for La-Ti-Do, spoken word and musical theatre cabaret series, Bistro Bistro, Conn. 1727 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009 (Metrorail: Dupont Circle (Red Line)). (202) 328-1640. $15 online or door. Special rehearsal: Sun., Nov. 15, 2015, 6-8pm.
Fri., Nov. 20, 2015, 9:30pm-midnight:
Pianist for open mic, Vaso's Mediterranean Bistro
, 1118 King Street (@ Fayette), 2nd Fl., Old Town, Alexandria, VA (Metrorail: King Street (Blue/Yellow Lines)). No cover.
Sat., Nov. 21, 2015, 6pm:
Accompany cabaret singer Sheri Kuznicki Owen
, in her one-woman show, "No One Knows Who I Am," at Germano's
, 300 S. High St., Baltimore, MD 21202, (410) 752-4515. $15. Tickets online through InstantSeats
- Fri., Nov. 27, 2015, 8-11pm: Substitute pianist, Number 9 Bar/Lounge, 1435 P Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont (Red Line); Macpherson Sq. (Blue/Orange Line)). No cover.
Sun., Nov. 29, 2015, 2-5pm:
Pianist with the National Gallery Orchestra for screening and live performance of the original score for D.W. Griffith's silent film, Way Down East
, conducted by Gillian Anderson, National Gallery of Art
, East Wing Auditorium, 4th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Judiciary Square (Red Line), Archives/Navy Memorial (Yellow/Green Line)). Rehearsals: Fri./Sat., Nov. 27, 28, 2015, 5-7:30pm; Sun., Nov. 29, 2015, 10am-12:45pm.
- Fri., Dec. 4, 2015, 7pm: Accompany interview-and-song program by Broadway actress and two-time Tony nominee Laura Osnes (Cinderella, Grease: You're The One That I Want), for ArtSpeak! educational program sponsored by Shugoll Research, location TBD in Montgomery County, MD. Free.
- Sat., Dec. 5, 2015, 7-9pm: Background music for private party in Georgetown.
- Wed., Dec. 9, 2015, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly open mic, sponsored by the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, at Cobalt Bar/Restaurant, 1639 R Street NW (@ 17th), Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle (Red Line), U St/Cardozo (Yellow/Green Line)). 202-232-4416. No cover.
- Sun., Dec. 13, 2015, 9am-12pm: Pianist for local music theater auditions, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA), New York, NY, held at Washington Marriott (Metro Center), 775 12th St NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Metro Center (Red or Blue/Orange Lines)).
- Sun., Dec. 13, 2015, 6:15pm: Rehearsal with voice students of Cindy Hutchins for their master class (see Thurs., Dec. 18, 2015).
- Tues., Dec. 15, 2015, 4-6:30pm, 7:30-10pm: piano (principal) and orchestra rehearsals, American Pops Orchestra (see Dec. 16, 2015, listing), Georgetown Lutheran Church, 1556 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
- Wed., Dec. 16, 2015, 3-5:30pm (dress rehearsal), 8pm (concert): A Broadway Christmas, featuring Elaine Paige, Matt Doyle, and Julia Goodwin, American Pops Orchestra, Lisner Auditorium, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Foggy Bottom-GWU (Blue/Orange/Silver Lines)), $35-65.
- Friday, Dec, 18, 2015, 7-9:30pm: Accompany master class for voice students of Cindy Hutchins, St. Margaret's Episcopal Church, Washington, DC.
- Fri., Jan. 1, 2016, 8-11pm (tentative): Substitute pianist, Number 9 Bar/Lounge, 1435 P Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont (Red Line); Macpherson Sq. (Blue/Orange Line)). No cover.
- Wed., Jan. 13, 2016, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly open mic, sponsored by the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, at Cobalt Bar/Restaurant,
1639 R Street NW (@ 17th), Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle
(Red Line), U St/Cardozo (Yellow/Green Line)). 202-232-4416. No
- Thurs., Jan. 14, 2016, 7-10pm (tentative): Accompany dress rehearsal for Jan. 15 & 16, 2016, winter concert (Bach Wachet auf cantata, Brahms Requiem, Leavitt Magnificat), Friday Morning Music Club Chorale, Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol Street, NE, 20003 (Metrorail: Capitol Hill South (Orange/Blue Line) or Union Station (Red Line)).
- Sat.-Sun., Jan. 16-17, 2016: Pianist for "The S* Show" Cabaret (*Sondheim, Sinatra, Streisand), Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, Camp Rehoboth (LGBT Community Center), 37 Baltimore Ave., Rehoboth Beach, DE, (302) 227-5620.