Alex Tang in Washington, DC
Updated 13 February 2020
Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atang_dcNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM.
Pianist ALEX TANG has played for productions at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, Source Theatre, National Gallery of Art, Wolf Trap, Strathmore, Balitmore Hippodrome and Opera House, and for many other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of Mamma Mia!, Cats, Cabaret (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), Big River, Hairspray, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Disney's Beauty & The Beast, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Matilda, Something Rotten!, Les Misérables, Anastasia, Miss Saigon, and My Fair Lady, for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb (Over & Over), Michael John LaChiusa (The Highest Yellow, Giant), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey (If/Then, w/Idina Menzel), for TV/Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen (Fame, Sweet Charity), Michael Rupert (Falsettos), Laura Osnes (Cinderella), Elaine Paige (London's West End), John Raitt (Carousel), Laura Benanti (Gypsy, Sound of Music, She Loves Me), Anthony Rapp (Rent), Heidi Blickenstaff (Little Mermaid, [title of show]), Nicholas Rodriguez (Tarzan, One Life to Live), Ali Stroker (Glee Project, Spring Awakening, Oklahoma!), Cheyenne Jackson (Xanadu, Glee), Santino Fontana (Frozen, Tootsie), Tony Yazbeck (On The Town), Erika Henningsen, Kyle Selig & Ashley Park (Mean Girls), Corey Cott (Newsies), Alex Brightman (Beetlejuice, School of Rock), Beth Malone (Fun Home), LaChanze (The Color Purple, Once on This Island), Alysha Umphress (On the Town, On A Clear Day), Il Divo (feat. Lea Salonga) and for the pre-Broadway tryouts of Kander & Ebb's The Visit (Signature, w/Chita Rivera, George Hearn) and the revival of Gigi (Kennedy Center). He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra (Passion, with Michael Cerveris, Judy Kuhn) for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of Last Five Years (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of Urinetown (Signature), and Adding Machine: A Musical and Passing Strange (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, also producing their premiere CD. He also regularly plays open mics and performances with the D.C. Cabaret Network, La-Ti-Do (musical theater and spoken word cabaret), and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, whom he accompanied on their historic concert tour of Cuba. In addition, he has served as staff pianist for the American Pops Orchestra and on the faculty of The Theatre Lab. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
- SongSpeak: Blog of the DC Cabaret Network
- Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC
- The American Pops Orchestra
- The Theatre Lab (School of the Dramatic Arts)
Current and upcoming
- RECURRING: Mons., Jan. 6-Jun. 1, 2020, 7-9pm: Rehearsal pianist, Potomac Fever, select a cappella ensemble of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, National City Christian Church (Thomas Circle), Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Tues., Feb. 11-Sun., Mar. 8, 2020 (performing Sat. eve. 2/15, Sat. mat. 2/22, Sun. mat. 2/23, Sat. mat. & eve. 2/29, Sun. eve. 3/1, Sat. eve. 3/7): Substitute player, Keyboard 2, Broadway national tour of WICKED, Hippodrome Theatre, 12 N. Eutaw St., Baltimore, MD 21201. (Rehearsals/audit: 2/11, 2/12.)
- Thurs., Feb. 13, 2020, 6-9pm: Substitute rehearsal pianist, DC-Capital Stars GALA 2020 (scholarship talent competition), DC College Access Program (DC-CAP), Trinity University, Alumnae Hall, Washington, DC.
- Fri., Feb. 14, 2020, 4:30-10pm: Perform with members of the American Pops Orchestra, inaugural Ruth Bader Ginsburg Awards, Library of Congress, Washington, DC.
- Sat., Feb. 15, 2020, 12pm: Accompany Megan Hilty (Smash!, 9 to 5, Wicked) and Cheyenne Jackson (Altar Boyz, Xanadu, All Shook Up) for Artspeak! (educational arts program), Einstein High School, 11135 Newport Mill Rd, Kensington, MD 20895. Free. (Metro: Red Line (Friendship Heights), L8 bus.)
- Sun., Feb. 16, 2020, 11am: Accompany Seasons of Love (gospel ensemble of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC), Westminster Presbyterian Church, 400 I St SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: SW Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsal: 10:15am.)
- RECURRING: Suns., Feb. 16-Mar. 29, 2020, 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (lighter fare program TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- RECURRING: Tues., Feb. 18-Mar. 24, 2020, 6-7pm: Accompany vocal class (Singing Better with Charles Williams), Theatre Lab, 733 8th Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green Lines)).
- Sat., Mar. 7, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Mon., Mar. 9, 2020, 6:30pm-8pm: Keyboards for Cabaret Night @ Cured 18th & 21st, 10980 Grantchester Way, Suite 110, Columbia, MD 21044, tel.: 667-786-7111. (Rehearsal: TBD.)
- RECURRING: Suns., Mar. 22 & 29, 2020, 11am: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., March 28, 2020, 8pm: Pianist/conductor, American Pops Orchestra, 3rd Annual NextGen Vocal Competition, Arena Stage, Kreeger Theater, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Fri. aft. 3/27, Sat. morn. & aft. 3/28.)
- RECURRING: Sats., Apr. 4 & 18, 2020, 2pm: Substitute keyboards, GUYS AND DOLLS, Ford's Theatre, 511 10th St. NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Metro Center (Red/Blue/Orange/Silver Lines)).
- Sun., Apr. 5, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- RECURRING: Weds., Apr. 15-May 20, 2020, 7-9pm: Accompany vocal class (Belters Workshop with Tracy Lynn Olivera), Theatre Lab, 733 8th Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green Lines)).
- RECURRING: Suns., Apr. 26-June 22, 2020 (exc. 5/24), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Leavitt Requiem et al. TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sun., May 17, 2020, 9am-12pm: Audition pianist, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA) (NYC/LA), Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., May 30, 2020, 3pm & 8pm: Pianist, American Pops Orchestra, Comedy Tonight, Arena Stage, Fichandler Stage, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Thurs. 5/28 aft., Fri. 5/29 aft./eve.)
- TENTATIVE: Thurs., June 25 - Sun., July 5, 2020: Keyboards, MAMMA MIA!, produced by Signature Theatre at The Anthem, 901 Wharf St SW, Washington, DC 20024 (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line) or L'Enfant Plaza (Yellow/Green/Blue/Orange/Silver Lines)). Performances: Tues.-Wed. @ 7:30p, Thurs.-Sat. @ 8pm, Sun. @ 7pm, matinees Sat./Sun. & Fri. 7/3 @ 2pm; no performances Mon. 6/29, Sat. 7/4.
- Sun., Sept. 27, 2020, 1pm (brunch performance) & 6pm: Pianist and music director, annual cabaret, Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, at City Winery, 1350 Okie St. NE (Ivy City), Washington, DC (Metrorail: Rhode Isl. Ave.-Brentwood (Red Line), then 1.3 mile walk), (202) 250-2531. (Auditions: 8/16 @ 2-5pm, 8/17, @ 7-9pm; Rehearsals: 8/24, 25 & 31 & 9/1 @ 7-9pm, Suns., 8/13 & 20 @ 2-5pm.)