Alex Tang in Washington, DC
Updated 11 October 2019
Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atang_dcNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM.
Pianist ALEX TANG has performed at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, Source Theatre, National Gallery of Art, Wolf Trap, Strathmore, and with numerous other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of Mamma Mia!, Cats, Cabaret (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), Big River, Hairspray, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Disney's Beauty & The Beast, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Matilda, Something Rotten!, Les Misérables, Anastasia, and Miss Saigon, for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb (Over & Over), Michael John LaChiusa (The Highest Yellow, Giant), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey (If/Then, w/Idina Menzel), for TV/Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen (Fame, Sweet Charity), Michael Rupert (Falsettos), Laura Osnes (Cinderella), Elaine Paige (London's West End), John Raitt (Carousel), Laura Benanti (Gypsy, Sound of Music, She Loves Me), Anthony Rapp (Rent), Heidi Blickenstaff (Little Mermaid, [title of show]), Nicholas Rodriguez (Tarzan, One Life to Live), Ali Stroker (Glee Project, Spring Awakening, Oklahoma!), Cheyenne Jackson (Xanadu, Glee), Santino Fontana (Frozen, Tootsie), Tony Yazbeck (On The Town), Erika Henningsen, Kyle Selig & Ashley Park (Mean Girls), Corey Cott (Newsies), Alex Brightman (Beetlejuice, School of Rock), Beth Malone (Fun Home), Il Divo (feat. Lea Salonga) and for the pre-Broadway tryouts of Kander & Ebb's The Visit (Signature, w/Chita Rivera, George Hearn) and the revival of Gigi (Kennedy Center). He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra (Passion, with Michael Cerveris, Judy Kuhn) for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of Last Five Years (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of Urinetown (Signature), and Adding Machine: A Musical and Passing Strange (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, also producing their premiere CD. He also regularly plays open mics and performances with the D.C. Cabaret Network, La-Ti-Do (musical theater and spoken word cabaret), and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, whom he accompanied on their historic concert tour of Cuba. In addition, he is staff pianist for the American Pops Orchestra. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
- SongSpeak: Blog of the DC Cabaret Network
- Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC
- The American Pops Orchestra
Current and upcoming
- RECURRING: Suns., Aug. 25-Oct. 27, 2019 (exc. 9/1 & 9/29), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Bach Magnificat in D Major (BWV 243), Mendelssohn, Psalm 115, Nicht unsern Namen, Herr (Op. 31), selections from Paul Leavitt Cantata Emmanuel), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- RECURRING: Mons. starting approx. Sept. 9, 2019, 7-9pm: Rehearsal pianist, Potomac Fever, select a cappella ensemble of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC.
- Wed., Oct. 9, 2019, 7:30pm: Private event, American Pops Orchestra, Qatar ambassador's residence, McLean, VA.
- Sat., Oct. 12, 2019, 11am-3pm: Accompany vocal master class (musical theater and pop riffs) conducted by Natalie Weiss (The Voice, Les Misérables and Wicked national tours), with students of Cara Transtrom & Aimee Barnes, Union Stage, 740 Water Street SW, Washington, DC. For info: www.lavocestudios.com.
- Sun., Oct. 13, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Sat., Oct. 19, 2019, 8pm: Pianist for singer Katherine Riddle, in a reprise of her cabaret show, Tell Me a Story, Anne Arundel Community College, Humanities Recital Hall, 101 College Parkway, Arnold, MD. Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tell-me-a-story-with-katherine-riddle-and-alex-tang-tickets-73287873001.
- Sun., Oct. 20, 2019, 10am rehearsal, 11am service: Pianist, Unity Center of Washington, DC, 3655 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC.
- Tues., Oct. 29, 2019, 7pm: Pianist for Tony Award winners Jessie Mueller (Waitress, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical) and Melissa Errico (Les Misérables, My Fair Lady, High Society, Amour, Dracula), in a lecture-performance presentation to students at Quince Orchard H.S., 15800 Quince Orchard Rd., Gaithersburg, MD, sponsored by Artspeak (Shugoll Research). Free admission.
- RECURRING: Suns., Nov. 10, 2019-Jan. 12, 2020 (exc. 12/22, 12/29, 1/5 (orch only)), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Verdi Requiem), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sun., Dec. 1, and Wed., Dec. 18, 2019, 7:30pm: Keyboard 2 sub, Newsies, Arena Stage, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront-SEU (Green Line)).
- TENTATIVE: Tues., Dec. 17, 2019 - Sun., Jan. 19, 2020: Keyboard sub, My Fair Lady (national tour), Kennedy Center (Opera House), 2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Foggy Bottom-BWU (Blue/Silver/Orange Lines)). Currently scheduled to play Sat. or Sun. 12/21 or 12/22 and 12/28 or 12/29.
- TENTATIVE: Sat., Jan. 18, 2020, 11am & 2pm: Pianist, American Pops Orchestra, Family Series concert (The Pied Piper), Arena Stage (Molly Smith Study), 11101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)).
- RECURRING: Suns., Feb. 16-Mar. 29, 2020, 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (lighter fare program TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sun., March 29, 2020, 8pm: Pianist/conductor, American Pops Orchestra, 3rd Annual NextGen Vocal Competition, Arena Stage, Kreeger Theater, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Fri. aft. 3/27, Sat. morn. 3/28, Sat. aft. 3/29.)
- RECURRING: Suns., Apr. 26-June 22, 2020 (exc. 5/24), 1:30-4pm: Rehearsal pianist (Leavitt Requiem et al. TBD), Arioso Chorale, Friday Morning Music Club, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003.
- Sat., May 30, 2020, 3pm & 8pm: Pianist, American Pops Orchestra, Comedy Tonight, Arena Stage, Fichandler Stage, 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Waterfront (Green Line)). (Rehearsals: Thurs. 5/28 aft., Fri. 5/29 aft./eve.)