Lawyer; musician (piano and other keyboards). Contact me at the following e-mail address (remove "NO" and "SPAM" from address before sending): atangNO@aya.yale.eduSPAM
Pianist ALEX TANG has performed at the Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, Arena Stage, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, National Theatre, Warner Theatre, Ford's Theatre, and with numerous other orchestral, opera, chamber, and cabaret groups and artists. He has played locally for the national tours of "Mamma Mia!", "Cats," "Cabaret" (w/Teri Hatcher and Norbert Leo Butz), "Big River," "Hairspray," "The Lion King," "Legally Blonde," "Wicked," "Disney's Beauty & The Beast," "White Christmas," and "Les Misérables," for world premieres of works by Broadway composers Kander & Ebb ("Over & Over"), Michael John LaChiusa ("The Highest Yellow," "Giant"), Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey ("If/Then"), and for Broadway performers and Tony winners including Debbie Allen, Michael Rupert, John Raitt, Laura Benanti, Anthony Rapp, and Heidi Blickenstaff. He was the music director of the Smithsonian's gala concert for the centenary of Broadway composer Richard Rodgers, and a staff accompanist and member of the Opera House Orchestra for the Kennedy Center's acclaimed Sondheim Celebration. He was a pianist-conductor for the area premieres of "Last Five Years" (Metrostage), the Helen Hayes Award-winning production of "Urinetown" (Signature), and "Adding Machine: A Musical" and "Passing Strange" (Studio). For nearly eight seasons, he served as accompanist for the Lesbian & Gay Chorus of Washington, and produced their premiere CD, and regularly plays open mics and singers' showcases for the D.C. Cabaret Network and Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC. In his other life, he is a full-time lawyer who has also served on the advisory boards of the Thomas Circle Singers (Washingtonians of the Year), Liz Lerman Dance Exchange (MacArthur Foundation Award), and GAYLAW. Musical training: Juilliard (Pre-College Div.); Yale (B.A. with honors). Member, Local 161-710, Amer. Fed. of Musicians.
Current and upcoming
- Suns., Jan. 5 through Mar. 9, 2014, 3-5pm (plus 6:15-9:15pm, starting Sun., Feb. 16, 2014): Rehearsal pianist for VON TRAPPED (see below), Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW), New York Ave. Presbyterian Church, 1313 NY Ave. NW, Washington, DC.
- Thurs., Mar. 6, 2014, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly open mic sponsored by Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW), basement level at Black Fox Lounge, 1723 Conn. Ave. NW (between R & S Sts.), Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle), no cover. Free drink for the first song you sing! (This month's theme will be Rodgers & Hammerstein, but you can sing anything.)
- Tues.-Thurs., March 11-13, 2014, 7pm: Dress rehearsals for VON TRAPPED (see March 14-16 below), Lisner Auditorium, Geo. Wash. Univ., Washington, DC.
- Fri. & Sat., Mar. 14 & 15, 2014, 8pm, and Sun., Mar. 16, 2014, 3pm: Keyboards for VON TRAPPED, based on "The Sound of Music," Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, Lisner Auditorium, 730 21st St. NW (corner of H), Geo. Wash. Univ., Washington, DC (Metrorail: GWU-Foggy Bottom (Blue or Orange Line) Metro).
- Sat., Mar. 15, 2014, 8:30-12pm: Pianist for local music theater auditions, American Musical & Dramatic Academy (AMDA), New York, NY, held at Renaissance Hotel (Dupont Circle), 1143 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington, DC (Metrorail: Dupont Circle).
- Sun., Mar. 23, 2014, 7pm: Music director and pianist for the annual DC Cabaret Network Members' Showcase, Arts Club of Washington, 1712 I Street NW, Washington, DC (Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro). (Rehearsals: Mar. 19, 20.)
- Thurs., April 10, 2014, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly GMCW open mic (see Mar. 6 listing).
- Sun., Apr. 13, 2014, 2-5pm, and Sun., Apr. 27, 6:15-9:15pm: Rehearsal pianist for "A Gay Man's Guide to Broadway" (Kennedy Center, May 18, 2014), Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW), New York Ave. Presbyterian Church, 1313 NY Ave. NW, Washington, DC.
- Thurs., Fri. & Sat., May 1, 2 & 3, 2014: Pianist for Beauty and the Beast Jr., Sheridan School, 4400 36th Street NW, Washington, DC (Van Ness Metro (Red Line)). (Rehearsals April 21-26, 28-30.)
- Thurs., May 8, 2014, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly GMCW open mic (see Apr. 10 listing).
- Sat., May 18, 2014, 8pm (tentative): Pianist for Laura Benanti (Sound of Music (TV/Broadway), Gypsy, Nine), appearing with the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, DC, in "A Gay Man's Guide to Broadway," Kennedy Center, Concert Hall, Washington, DC. (Rehearsal: May 16.)
- Thurs., June 12, 2014, 8-11pm: Pianist for monthly GMCW open mic (see May 8 listing).
- Tues., Jun. 17, through Sun., Aug. 17, 2014: Keyboards for the national tour of Disney's THE LION KING, Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, DC.