Ph.D. Princeton University, 2002
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Associate editor: Journal of Development Economics, 2010 -
Associate editor: Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2013 -
Associate editor: Journal of Human Resources, 2014 –
Associate editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2015 - 2018
- Alessandro Tarozzi, Ricardo Maertens, Kazi Matin Ahmed and Alexander van Geen (2019) “Demand for Information on Environmental Health Risk, Mode of Delivery, and Behavioral Change: Evidence from Sonargaon, Bangladesh.” Conditionally accepted, World Bank Economic Review.
- Aprajit Mahajan, Christian Michel and Alessandro Tarozzi (2019). “Identification of Time Inconsistent Models: The Case of Insecticide Treated Nets.”
- Caterina Alacevich and Alessandro Tarozzi (2017). Child Height and Intergenerational Transmission of Health: Evidence from Indian Migrants in England. Economics and Human Biology, 25, 65-84.
- Alessandro Tarozzi, Jaikishan Desai and Kristin Johnson (2015). The Impacts of Microcredit: Evidence from Ethiopia. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 7(1): 54-89.
- You can find the replication files here.
- Alessandro Tarozzi, Aprajit Mahajan, Brian Blackburn, Dan Kopf, Lakshmi Krishnan and Joanne Yoong (2014). “Micro-loans, bednets and malaria: Evidence from a randomized controlled trial in Orissa (India).” American Economic Review 104(7), 1909-1941.
- For a much earlier version with some additional results see Tarozzi et al. (2011). Note that this version is very different from the latest one because it the health impacts were estimated using only the results of the RDTs and not the self-reported incidence data.
- Soumya Balasubramanya, Alexander Pfaff, Lori Bennear, Alessandro Tarozzi, Kazi Matin Ahmed, Amy Schoenfeld and Alexander van Geen (2014). “Evolution of households’ responses to the groundwater arsenic crisis in Bangladesh: information on environmental health risks can have increasing behavioral impact over time”. Environment and Development Economics, 19(5), 631-647.
- Lori Bennear, Alessandro Tarozzi, H B Soumya, Alex Pfaff, Kazi Matin Ahmed and Alexander van Geen (2013). “Impact of a Randomized Controlled Trial in Arsenic Risk Communication on Household Water-source Choices in Bangladesh”. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 65(2), 225-240.
- Christine Marie George, Alexander van Geen, Vesna N Slavkovich, Ashit Singha, Diane Levy, Tariqul Islam, Kazi Ahmed, Joyce Moon-Howard, Alessandro Tarozzi, Xinhua Liu, Pam Factor-Litvak and Joseph Graziano (2012). “A Cluster-Based Randomized Controlled Trial Promoting Community Participation in Arsenic Mitigation Efforts in Singair, Bangladesh”. Environmental Health, 11:41.
- Irene Brambilla, Guido Porto and Alessandro Tarozzi (2012). “Adjusting to Trade Policy: Evidence from U.S. Antidumping Duties on Vietnamese Catfish”. Review of Economics and Statistics, 94(1), 304–319.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2011). “Can Census Data Alone Signal Heterogeneity in the Estimation of Poverty Maps?”, Journal of Development Economics 95(2), 170-185.
- Patricia Foo, Alessandro Tarozzi, Aprajit Mahajan, Joanne Yoong, Lakshmi Krishnan, Daniel Kopf and Brian Blackburn (2011). “Lymphatic Filariasis in Orissa, India: Expanded Endemic Range and A Call to Re-evaluate Targeting of Mass Drug Administration Programs”. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 105(2), 109-114.
- Jaikishan Desai and Alessandro Tarozzi (2011). “Microcredit, Family Planning Programs and Contraceptive Behavior: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Ethiopia”. Demography, 48(2), 749-782.
- Alessandro Tarozzi and Angus Deaton (2009). “Using Census and Survey Data to Estimate Poverty and Inequality for Small Areas”. Review of Economics and Statistics, 91(4), 773-792.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2008). “Growth Reference Charts and the Nutritional Status of Indian Children”, Economics and Human Biology, 6(3), 455-468.
- Xiaohong Chen and Han Hong and Alessandro Tarozzi (2008). “Semiparametric Efficiency in GMM Models with Auxiliary Data”. The Annals of Statistics, 36(2), 808-843.
- A longer version with additional results and more readable proofs for the semiparametric efficiency bounds can be found here.
- Alessandro Tarozzi and Aprajit Mahajan (2007). “Child Nutrition in India in the Nineties”. Economic Development and Cultural Change. 55(3), 441-486.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2007). “Calculating Comparable Statistics from Incomparable Surveys, with an Application to Poverty in India”. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 25(3), 314-336.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2005). “The Indian Public Distribution System as Provider of Food Security: Evidence from Child Nutrition in Andhra Pradesh”, European Economic Review, Volume 49, Issue 5, Pages 1305-1330.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2016). “Health interventions in low income countries: A (not so) low hanging fruit?” Els Opuscles del CREI, no. 42.
- Diane Coffey, Angus Deaton, Jean Drèze, Dean Spears and Alessandro Tarozzi (2013). “Stunting among Children: Facts and Implications”. Economic and Political Weekly, XLVIII(34), August 24, 2013, 68-70.
- Alessandro Tarozzi (2012). “Some Facts about Boy vs. Girl Health Indicators in India: 1992 to 2005”. CESifo Economic Studies, 58(2), 296-321. Invited contribution for a special issue with proceedings from the CESifo Venice Summer Institute Workshop on malnutrition in South Asia, Venice International University, 20-21 July 2011.
- Alessandro Tarozzi, Aprajit Mahajan, Brian Blackburn, Dan Kopf, Lakshmi Krishnan and Joanne Yoong (2009). “Commitment Mechanisms and Compliance with Health-protecting Behavior: Preliminary Evidence from Orissa (India)”. American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 99(2), 231-235.
- Angus Deaton and Alessandro Tarozzi (2005). “Prices and Poverty in India.” Now Chapter 16 in Deaton and Kozel, Data and Dogma: The Great Indian Poverty Debate, New Delhi, Macmillan India.