841st Ordnance Depot Company:
                              WWII photos and memories of Joe Hill Hammond
The primary purpose of this site was to post photos of my Dad, 
and his U.S. Army unit during their service in World War II.  
I discovered in about 2008, that he was in the 841st Ordnance Depot Company,
and served from September 1943 until November 1945.
I began this project in March 2012, and have now posted a roster of men who were members of the 841st, and a Company History.  See the links to them in the sidebar on the left.  I have now also posted my first attempt of a map of the operational locations.  Luckily, the Company kept a good record of their locations and movement.   Any other documents or related material about the 841st will be posted, as I learn more.  I was recently excited to receive a group photo of the entire company, from Oct 1944, in France.  Please notice the Photo 12 page which has a recent 2015 photo of Col. Evans Reynolds, retired, now 98 years old, holding a framed copy of this group photo. How great to have this!
This site is a way to honor their service, their stories, and their lives. 
If anyone would like to share their own information, and certainly to help correct anything I've written, please contact me using the email address from the link at the bottom of the page.
My Dad, Joe Hill Hammond, was born October 18, 1926.  
He passed away this morning, March 21, 2015. ( I wrote this sentence the day he died and don't think I will change or correct the tense to update it here.)  He was 88 years old.  He was a good guy, and had many memories of his "war" years.  Some stories seemed to be quite accurate, and some had gotten a little fuzzy.   After all, he was about 80 when I decided to gather and verify details for a potential story.  One recurring story was always about how they had to cut his boots off during those bitter cold days and nights of Dec 1944-Jan 1945 and being in the hospital in Luxembourg.  This was during the time of the "Battle of the Bulge".  His more current version of the "boot story" was he never got his boots replaced! I think maybe that was his way of adding a new twist to his story.  
After my Mom passed away in 2005, he moved in with me. I re-discovered the photo album that I believe my Mom had created that covers those early years of their marriage and his Army service. I remember looking at this when I was a child.  I always had to be careful, because of the photos.   It was one of those typical of that time, about 11" x 14" in size, with a thick red embossed front and back cover with heavy black paper pages, and all tied on the binding side with a long cord.  Most of these photos were very small, only about 1" x 2". I'm not sure what kind of camera was used, but probably a small Kodak.  He told me that there was someone in the outfit that took photos all the time.  They were arranged and held on each album page with those little black (and some white) mounting corners that had to be glued in place. Even by 1956, when I was ten, some of those corners were loose!
According to his Discharge Form WD AGO 53-55:
Date of Induction:  September 7, 1943
Date of Entry into Active Service:  September 28, 1943 at Ft. McPherson, Georgia.
Total Length of Service:  9 months, 23 days of Continental Service, and  1 year, 3 months and 16 days of Foreign Service
He was honorably discharged November 28, 1945 at Camp Cooke, California and his organization at separation was listed as the 3430th Ordnance Maintenance Company. 
I had looked at this form some time ago and had tried to learn more about the 3430th company, but without much luck.  By 2005, I was now retired and began to organize and scan all of our family photos in to my PC, including those in his military album. This was also when I got interested in ancestry and attempted to verify names, dates and relatives.  It was then that I found a couple of letters from  someone in 2003 regarding a reunion for his military unit...the 841st Ord. Depot Co.   So all began to fall into place.  He really was in the 841st from the beginning, and maybe only in the 3430th just those last months in California!
One highly valued Military Historian and a great source of helpful information, (Richard V. Horrell)  tells me that the 841st Ordnance Depot Company was activated by the US Military during WW 2.  It was commanded by a Captain Lenard G. Fuller. And the unit's Order of Battle was:

841st Ordnance Depot Company
314th Ordnance Battalion
69th Ordnance Group
Third Army

And then last year when I asked my Dad about the 841st, he remembered even more!  I've now scanned in to my computer, all of those little photos and even have names for some of the guys.  I've tried to scan and get a higher resolution and have done some cleaning for each one. Many were not great originals, but some surprised me as I zoomed in.
So my plan here is to post the photos of him and his unit. And if I can connect with any of the families or even any members that are still living, then perhaps a more accurate website about the 841st can be created.
If anyone finds this site and knows anything about the unit, or was a part of it, or has relatives who were, please contact me below.
Dan Hammond