What is eLearning?
The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) recently gave permission for school districts to apply for eLearning Days in response to making up days and time in event of inclement weather. Our teachers have been working hard preparing and planning by integrating digital instructional materials and contingency plans for students when an eLearning day is called. Learning activities could consist of participating in virtual discussions with classmates, working remotely with a partner or small group, watching an instructional video from either the teacher or another source, and creating a project. The teachers will provide information on how to complete the assignment or some type of learning activity using one of many available learning management systems including Google Classroom and Google Sites. Teachers will be implementing practice eLearning days so that students are comfortable learning and experiencing the process.
Shelbyville Central Schools is dedicated to researching and finding ways to leverage digital learning to ensure maximum student achievement. This will be accomplished by establishing the following goals:
- Provide instruction during the school year for cancelled school days that is more meaningful than instruction on days that are added to the end of the year.
- Maximize opportunities for students prior to the start of standardized testing, i.e. iSTEP, iREAD, ECA, and AP Testing.
- Offer students quality experiences with digital learning that is a part of the College & Career Readiness standards.
- Increase teacher capacity to design and deliver quality digital instruction.
- Continue to expand seamless learning delivered on days when school is unexpectedly cancelled.