Self Service is an App present on all district iMacs and nearly all iPads that allows you to install curated software based on your current needs. While all stations have common applications like Google Chrome, Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader pre-installed, you may find some of the software in Self Service useful to your specific class goal or interests. You can also request software that you would like to have available, and we will add it to the catalog.
Here is a small preview of the types of programs you can find in Self Service:
- Evernote - Cloud-based note taking and organization software. Found in the "Misc. Software" category.
- Stellarium - A planetarium software that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. Found in the "Misc. Software" category.
- Audacity - Free audio recording & editing software. Found in the "Misc. Software" category.
- ExamView Test Generator - Create & edit quiz banks for tests. Found in the "ExamView" category. A legacy test bank catalog is also available.
- TextWrangler - A lightweight text and code editor with syntax highlighting. Found in the "Misc. Software" category.
Over the summer of 2016, we deployed a new, cohesive WiFi infrastructure across the Southgate Community School District. It covers all managed buildings and is split into three categories, identified by the following SSIDs (their "WiFi names").
Southgate Schools - Guest
A guest network that anyone can use without requiring a username or password, intended mainly for visitors who do not have a Southgate Schools account. There are speed regulations placed on this network; it also cannot communicate with copiers / printers in the building for security reasons. Content may be blocked or filtered.
This network utilizes RADIUS authentication and is designed for teachers and students wishing to connect their personal devices (iPhones, Android phones etc) to the internet. Note that it is not meant for district-owned devices (see below). To use this network, supply your Southgate Schools username & password when connecting (note: do not include the @sgate.k12.mi.us part, just the username).
Southgate Schools - Internal
This network is reserved for iMacs, Macbooks and Chromebooks owned by the district and has to be configured by a member of the Technology staff. If you are utilizing a district-issued laptop, you should only be connected to this network for performance reasons. Should this not be the case, please contact us and we will get you set up!