Karaoke (カラオケ) is a Japanese word that means EMPTY (Kara) ORCHESTRA (Oke)
It is pronounced as KAA-RAA-OKAY (काराओके) - not CARRY-OKI .. !
Karaoke are of 2 types:
- Audio Karaoke comprises of a music track without vocals (generally MP3 files)
- Video track that contains music track without vocals and lyrics displayed on screen while the music plays (generally MP4 files)
Our Inspiration - Legends of Indian Film Music
How to practice ?
1) Pick the songs that you REALLY, REALLY LOVE and make you HAPPY
2) ORIGINAL SONG
- VIDEO - watch the video for the picturization. What scene what actors what environment they sing in. If it is a duet, watch the timing and cross over of singers
- AUDIO Listen to the song with headphones - note how the original singer(s) started the song, used weight / reduced weight on certain words, diction for words (especially Urdu words), variations during the song
- LYRICS - Understand the lyrics, each and every word
- Variations - listen carefully to the original song and what variations are used - these are the jewels of the song
- Start, Verse, Stop - note how you start, continue and finish the song
2) KARAOKE TRACK and YOU
PICK the right karaoke track that is closest to the original song as this is how you know the song. See the section below to see how you can find the right track.
PITCH - If the original pitch of the song does not match your voice, adjust the pitch till you can sing comfortably without any stress on your voice
DOWNLOAD the track and copy it to all devices you will be using for practice.
LISTEN to the track a few times - note that no matter what, karaoke tracks cannot be exactly same as original songs, especially songs that were recorded in the analog recording era.
RHYTHM - Catch the rhythm with the beats and melody - you should be able to remember the track as it plays
TIMING - on the track, where you sing, where you wait
WORDS - remember lyrics with the tune, remember the song environment, sentiment, message and soul of the song
DICTION - read the lyrics and understand how words are pronounced, especially if they are Urdu words are used.
BHAAV - feel the song with its words and emotions it conveys. Close your eyes and sing it a few times without any distraction
PRACTICE - Clear your mind of all distractions, close your eyes and remember what you have learnt from the video and audio. Now practice singing with a proper sounds system and mic, like you are performing in a concert.
RECORD and LISTEN - once you are comfortable, record your song and listen to your performance. Note down areas where you are off, take some advice from another listener who can give you tips
LOOP :) - Go back to practice, record and listen until you get the full satisfaction with your singing
How to Perform?
- While performing a song having fun yourself (or depending on mood of the song, 'method singing' or immersing yourself in emotions conveyed) is very important; as is building a rapport with the audience for a better stage presence overall.