Welcome to Grades 6-8 at SACS!
- Quarter 1 Celebrations begin this week! Please join us at 8:30 am in the Meche Theater. RSVP HERE
- 11/14 - Grade 6
- 11/15 - Grade 7
- 11/19 - Grade 8
- The Calendar Raffle is this month! This is the BEST fundraising opportunity for students to add money to their student accounts. See below for details.
- Save the Date for Salem Academy's YEAR 15 Gala, March 22nd. Details coming soon.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Duffy (a.k.a. Coach Conway) on winning MCSAO Coach of the Year. Our Varsity Soccer teams play for the championship in Medford on Saturday!
LOWER SCHOOL news
from Mrs. Callahan, Head of School
Our 2018 Calendar Raffle begins on Friday 11/2. This is the BEST student fundraiser of the year because students earn 100% of their sales for their student accounts. Here's what you need to know:
- What is the SACS calendar raffle? The SACS Calendar Raffle is a raffle for the month of December. Each day, ticket holders have the chance to win the daily prize. The best part is that if your ticket is pulled and you win, your ticket is put back in for more chances to win. So all ticket holders have 31 chances to win throughout December.
- What are the prizes? Lots of gift cards to and baskets from local businesses with a Grand Prize that will be announced on Friday 11/2.
- How much do tickets cost? $10 each.
- When are tickets on sale? 11/2 - 11/30
- How does my child get tickets? All students will receive 12 tickets to sell on Friday 11/2. They can sell as many as they would like.
- What can students use their students accounts for? Field trips, t-shirts, school events - and the money stays with them throughout their time at SACS, so they can also save it for more expensive things like the 8th grade ski trip, high school international service trip, or prom!
Math App: IXL
Did you know that your middle school child has an IXL.com account through Salem Academy? IXL.com is an online platform where students can practice their skills. Lower School math teachers use this resource regularly with students and now there's a free app for iPhone. Check it out: https://www.ixl.com/apps
Our third Service-Learning day was Friday, October 26th. Our Lower School students continued exploring their grade level themes:
- Grade 6: Food and Housing Insecurity - visiting Life Bridge
- Grade 7: Environmental Sustainability - choosing their focus area
- Grade 8: Healthy Communities - creating polling resources for their 11/6 field trip
After-school activities begin this week. It is our goal that every student has something to connect to at SACS beyond the classroom - to develop skills, pursue a passion, and connect with a group of people. We have a variety of options for students, beginning right away with:
MUSIC (See Mr. Adams, email@example.com, for details).
- Tuesday: Bucket Drumming
- Wednesday: Choir
- Thursday: Band (grades 7-12)
Makerspace is every Wednesday and Thursday. Sign up will be posted in the cafeteria on Tuesday morning. It is first come first serve and we are limited to 10 spots. On Makerspace days students will go to the cafeteria immediately after school where students will be picked up by the Makerspace teachers. See Ms. Bowen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
The Sexuality and Gender Alliance will have their first meeting on September 10 in room 154! Everyone is welcome! See Ms. Bowen (email@example.com) for details.
THEATER: The LS Play is coming soon! The Gappers of Frip is a storybook comedy open to all students in grades 6-8. See Mrs. Granniss (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.