Welcome to Grades 6-8 at SACS!
LOWER SCHOOL news
from Mrs. Callahan, Head of School
Our 2018 Calendar Raffle is still going. This is the BEST student fundraiser of the year because students earn 100% of their sales for their student accounts. Here's what you need to know:
- What is the SACS calendar raffle? The SACS Calendar Raffle is a raffle for the month of December. Each day, ticket holders have the chance to win the daily prize. The best part is that if your ticket is pulled and you win, your ticket is put back in for more chances to win. So all ticket holders have 31 chances to win throughout December.
- What are the prizes? Lots of gift cards to and baskets from local businesses with a Grand Prize that will be announced on Friday 11/2.
- How much do tickets cost? $10 each.
- When are tickets on sale? 11/2 - 11/30
- How does my child get tickets? All students will receive 12 tickets to sell on Friday 11/2. They can sell as many as they would like.
- What can students use their students accounts for? Field trips, t-shirts, school events - and the money stays with them throughout their time at SACS, so they can also save it for more expensive things like the 8th grade ski trip, high school international service trip, or prom!
Math App: IXL
Did you know that your middle school child has an IXL.com account through Salem Academy? IXL.com is an online platform where students can practice their skills. Lower School math teachers use this resource regularly with students and now there's a free app for iPhone. Check it out: https://www.ixl.com/apps
This week is all about Service-Learning! Over the weekend a group of Upper School students painted positive messages in our student bathrooms. On Wednesday, we'll have our 4th SL half-day of the year. 9th graders are hosting "Culturesgiving" at lunch and 6th graders are hosting a Food Drive for Lifebridge. 7th and 8th graders will continue exploring their themes of Sustainability and Community.
After-school activities begin this week. It is our goal that every student has something to connect to at SACS beyond the classroom - to develop skills, pursue a passion, and connect with a group of people. We have a variety of options for students, including:
MUSIC (See Mr. Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org, for details).
- Tuesday: Bucket Drumming
- Wednesday: Choir
- Thursday: Band (grades 7-12)
Makerspace is every Wednesday and Thursday. Sign up will be posted in the cafeteria on Tuesday morning. It is first come first serve and we are limited to 10 spots. On Makerspace days students go to the cafeteria immediately after school where they are picked up by the Makerspace teachers. See Ms. Bowen (email@example.com) for details.
The Sexuality and Gender Alliance meets Thursdays in room 154! Everyone is welcome! See Ms. Bowen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.