Welcome to the Spruce Mountain Athletics webpages! Here you will find everything you need to help support Phoenix sports programs.
July 20, 2020
Beginning on Tuesday, July 21 some of the Spruce Mountain High School coaches will be holding workouts in person at the high school. These workouts will be on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6-8 . Some coaches have chosen to go on Wednesday, as well as or instead of Tuesday /Thursday.
Please follow this link, SMHS SUMMER ATHLETICS GUIDELINES, to give you all of the information you will need in order to participate in these workouts that has been created by the SMHS COVID Response Team. The team is made up of Jen Kachnovich, SMES Nurse, Deanna Hamblin, SMPS Nurse, Craig Collins, SMMS AP/AD, Jeremy Starbird, SMSH Athletic Trainer, Carrie Luce, SMMS Principal and Marc Keller, SMHS AP/AD.
Some important information for you to know:
- Each day before you can participate, you must fill out DAILY SYMPTOM QUESTIONNAIRE.
- You must have a mask that you will use at all times when you are not exercising.
- You must bring your own water bottle.
- Do not bring any food to the workouts.
- If you have your own equipment, please bring it with you. (soccerball, rubber/composite basketball, FH ball/stick, etc.)
- No locker room use will take place, Porta-potties will be available.
- When you arrive at school you will stop at the drive up check-in tent, please have your mask on when you check-in.
- At the check in tent, you will speak with someone regarding whether or not you completed the daily symptom questionnaire
- If you have completed it, you will be checked in and you will be allowed to go on to practice.
- If you have not completed it, you will be directed to complete it before you will be allowed to proceed.
- After leaving the check-in tent, you will then go to your designated practice area.
- FH-Field Hockey Field, Soccer-Soccer Field, Football-Baseball Field, Basketball-Back Parking Lot, Cheering-Upper Soccer Field
- Upon leaving your car at your practice area, you must have a mask on.
- You will utilize the mask at all times that you are not directly involved in training exercises or drinking water.
- On the way to the practice area, you will pass a hand sanitizer station where you must utilize spray bottles to sanitize.
- All drills and workouts will be completed using appropriate social distancing guidelines of maintaining a 6 foot distance between participants.
- At the end of the first hour, your pod may transfer to another sport...for instance, if you are a boys basketball player and play football, you would transfer from one sports practice area to the other. (Your coaches will give you your schedule.)
- You will remain in the same pod for the second sport as you were in for the first.
- Upon arriving at the second sport practice area, you will pass a hand sanitizer station where you must utilize spray bottles to sanitize.
- If you are not participating in another sport, your pod will stay with the first sport or you may leave school.
- Please do not stay at the school after your practice and continue to social distance before you leave.
If you would like to participate and your coach has not contacted you by Monday night, please send me an email and we will assign you to a pod for involvement. Please check your school email regularly as things may change.
I look forward to seeing many of you tomorrow night!
The SMHS Athletic Department
Bailey Coates and Cameron Cain
Spruce Mountain High School
Senior Athletes of the Year
April 15, 2020
As you all know, the spring sports season under the Maine Principals' Association has been cancelled for 2020. For all of us, this means that life continues to be different from our normal! A fact that we are continually being reminded of and living with each and every day.
For all of our spring athletes and coaches, this means that we have lost a vital part of our high school experience. For the seniors, they are missing out on some of the most important events of their lives and for most, the last days that they will ever participate in the sports that they love!
The Spruce Mountain High School Athletic Department would like to take the next few weeks to recognize these senior athletes for their hard work and dedication in what we are calling "PHOENIX FOCUS! using several mediums. These "Senior Nights" will be posted on the SMHS Boosters Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/645985868843009/ (You must be a member to view.), a link will be provided on Twitter @PHOENIXATHLETI2 , through District Email and on this website (SEE PHOENIX FOCUS PAGE.)
Thank you to all of our senior athletes for the countless hours that you have dedicated to Phoenix Athletics! This is not the way that any of us wanted to spend your senior spring or to celebrate your accomplishments, but let us continue to make the best of it and congratulate you for all that you have done!
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SPRING ATHLETES FOR THE CLASS OF 2020!