Hernandez Middle School NJHS
Our first NJHS meeting of the 2019-2020 school year will be on September 5th at 3:40 in room 621. Please plan to attend
Applications for current 6th graders will go out in the spring
What is NJHS?
The National Junior Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding middle school level students. It is more than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in official Honor Society activities across the United States and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
The Hernandez Middle School National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) looks for students who show outstanding qualities in scholarship, character, citizenship, leadership, and service. Take a minute to consider all you have done in these areas. Please complete all sections of the attached application with your best handwriting and using blue or black ink.
- Scholarship is the first pillar that the foundation of NJHS is built upon. It is crucial to have good grades.
- Your character is the combination of qualities that distinguishes you from another person. It is your combined moral and ethical make-up.
- The NJHS tries to develop good leaders. Your leadership ability is shown by the “extra” activities you are involved in, whether you hold an office or not. And by your ability to lead in the classroom.
- Service to the community is the major activity of our NJHS. List any service activities you have done with school, church, family, or community groups while in middle school.
You will be held to the following expectations as a member of National Junior Honor Society at Hernandez Middle School:
- Maintain a cumulative 90 average in the four core classes (Math, L.A., Science, History)
- Maintained good Attendance.
- Positive teacher feedback and recommendation
- Turn in ALL required service hour forms, 15 hours total - 6 hours needed in the first semester
- Pay $10 dues by October meeting