Dear Scotland Families,
Each week we will update the 'Scotty Updates Website' with pictures and short clips of happenings at SES.
From all of us at Scotland!
June 17, 18 & 19!
Monday June 17:
- Grade Five Moving Up Ceremony - 12PM in the Cafeteria. Congratulations to all of our fifth grade students!
Tuesday June 18:
- RHS Seniors come back to visit SES in their cap and gowns!
- Kindergarten Graduation Performance, 2PM in the cafeteria
Wednesday June 19:
- Last Day of School - All students dismissed at 11:40AM!
HAVE AN AMAZING SUMMER TO ALL SES STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
Week of June 10 - June 14
Monday June 10:
- Grade One Celebration for Ms. Jen Morrison! Thank you for a phenomenal year.
Tuesday June 11:
- Grade Five Musical Performance 9:15AM for all Faculty and Staff | 7PM for all SES families
Wednesday June 12:
- Grade Five Beach Party!
- Welcome back to Mrs. Liz Wronski from maternity leave. We are happy to have you back at SES!
Thursday June 13:
- Grade Five Beach Party RAIN DATE
Friday June 14:
- Grade 3 Recorder Concert 10-10:30AM
Week of June 3 - June 7
Thank you to all of our Volunteers for all you do!!!
Monday June 3:
- A big shout out to Mrs. Jen Zeyer, Art Teacher and all SES students for a phenomenal Art Show!!!! Thank you to all of our student musicians and Kindergarten servers for hosting such a magical evening.
- Congratulations to all of our 5th grade students on a wonderful Poetry Cafe performance last Friday.
- End of Year Conferences for Faculty and Staff Begin Today
Tuesday June 4:
- 7:30AM Faculty Meeting - Welcome to Mrs. Jill Katkocin new principal of SES who will be joining our meeting!
- 9AM PTA Executive Board Meeting
- 10AM General PTA Meeting - Principal meet and greet
Wednesday June 5:
- Grade Four Field Trip to Noah Webster House
Thursday June 6:
- Collaborative Hour for Faculty
Friday June 7:
- Volunteer Luncheon 11:30-2PM. Thank you to all of our volunteers for dedicating their time to make our school so special!
Week of May 27 - May 31
Monday May 27:
- Schools Closed for Memorial Day! See you tomorrow.
Tuesday May 28:
- Grade Five Music Festival Adjudication at SRMS today at 10AM. Good Luck to ALL of Our Musicians!
Wednesday May 29:
- We will be watching the weather closely today in preparation for Field Day! Stay tuned for email updates tonight and early tomorrow morning!
Thursday May 30:
Students are reminded to wear the following colors for their grade:
Kindergarten Blue T- Shirt
Grade 1 White T-Shirt
Grade 2 Red T-Shirt
Grade 5 Red Shirt
Grade 4 White T-Shirt
Grade 3 Yellow/Gold T-Shirt
Friday May 31:
- Art Show from 6-7:30PM
- Poetry Cafe for fifth grade students and families 7:50-9PM in the courtyard
Week of May 20 - May 24
Monday May 20:
- Mini-Kindergarten today! Welcome to all of our incoming Kindergarten students and families. We can't wait for you to come to SES.
Tuesday May 21:
- Faculty math P.D. with Shelley Dubose all day
Wednesday May 22:
- Grade Five field trip to NYC to watch the musical WICKED!
Thursday May 23:
- Spring Concert 9:15AM for students and faculty | 7-8:30PM for all SES families.
- Informal Principal meet and greet from 6:15-7PM with Mrs. Jill Katkocin! Drop by and say hello!
Friday May 24:
- Have a wonderful long weekend everyone!
Week of May 13 - May 17
Spring Book Fair - 2 days only!
Monday May 13:
- Congratulations to Lia Munoz and Leo Vorozhbitsky who were invited to compete at the CT Invention Convention national competition. Good Luck!
Tuesday May 14:
- As a Scotty Sprint Winner - Miles Lewis, in grade 3T will be principal for the morning!
- Day 1 of Book Fair begins today!
- Smarter Balanced Assessments begin today.
Wednesday May 15:
- As a Scotty Sprint Winner - Emily Collins in Kindergarten will be principal for the morning!
- Day 2 of Book Fair. Family and friends Ice Cream Social from 5-8:30PM. Come visit the book fair and see our celebrity faculty scoop ice cream!
Thursday May 16:
- As a Scotty Sprint Winner - Ison in grade one will be principal for the morning!
Friday May 17:
- As a Scotty Sprint Winner - Beckett in grade four will be principal for the morning!
Week of May 6- May 10
Teacher Appreciation Week!
Monday May 6:
- Ridgefield Public Schools Town Hall Meeting at the Ridgefield Playhouse from 7:30-8:30PM.
Tuesday May 7:
- 7:30AM Faculty Meeting - PTA to host special teacher appreciation breakfast
- Fifth grade students visit SRMS!
Wednesday May 8:
- 4:00-8:30PM New York Blood Center has announced a Blood Emergency appeal and SES will be hosting our second 'Little Doctors Blood Drive'. Scotland's fifth graders will entertain your children while you donate and ensure that you are comforted and re-energized with snacks and drinks post-donation.
Friday May 10:
- PTA sponsored Mother's Day Plant Sale pick ups from 5-7PM at SES in the Cafeteria.
Sunday May 12:
- We wish you a wonderful celebration on Mother's day with your family or in memory of a special Mother!
Week of April 29 - May 3
Week 1 of Spring After School Enrichment Programs
Parents, remember to update your School Dismissal Manager APP!
It's Birthday Book week in the library this week!
- A huge shout out to all of our fifth grade council members for a fantastic and exciting Quest for the Cure fundraiser this past Friday. It was so wonderful to see so many families come out to support St. Jude Children's Hospital's research! Thank you Mrs. Pasquarella and all of the teachers who helped make the evening a success.
- Congratulations to all of the 4th and 5th grade students who performed at the All District Music Festival this past weekend. You all sounded amazing performing each of your pieces. The show was a true celebration of the arts across the district! Thank you Ms. McGowan and Mr. Tornatore for all of your musical direction and dedication to the arts.
- Scheduled fire drill today.
- Mrs. Dougan's Class goes to Woodcock Nature Center
Thursday May 2:
- 4th Grade Play 2:15PM & 7PM
Friday May 3:
- Wacky Hair Spirit Day!
Saturday May 4:
- CT Invention Convention State Finals at Storrs, CT. Good Luck to our 6 CT Invention Convention representatives.
Sunday May 5:
- Cinco de Mayo!
Week of April 22 - April 26
Administrative Assistant/Secretary Appreciation Week!
Welcome back SES! We hope you all had a restful and rejuvenating Spring break!
Monday April 22:
- Students and faculty return to regular schedule.
- All district music festival rehearsal today from 4:30-6PM.
- BOF (6-7PM) and BOE (7PM start) meetings tonight in the Annex conference room at the BOE offices.
Wednesday April 24:
- All district music chorus rehearsal today from 4:30-6PM.
- Literacy Luau Family Night from 6:30 - 7:30PM in the cafeteria. We look forward to seeing everyone for some great literacy games.
Thursday April 25:
- Mrs. Sergi's 4th Grade Class Field Experience at Woodcock Nature Center
- Thursday Collaborative Hour Grades 3-5 Teachers with Ms. Weirsman to discuss Smarter Balanced Assessments.
Friday April 26:
- Mrs. Dougan's 4th Grade Class Field Experience at Woodcock Nature Center
- In school enrichment: Mad Science with Grade Two
- 'Quest for the Cure' St. Jude Children's Hospital fundraiser in the cafeteria 4:30-8PM (each session is approximately 45mins) RSVP to the main office (203) 894-5825.
Saturday April 27:
- All District Elementary Music Festival at ERMS at 3PM in the auditorium. Rehearsals begin at 1PM.
Week of April 8 - April 12
Elementary Supervisor/Assitant Principal Appreciation Week!
Sunday April 7:
Ms. President US elections take place at the Ridgefield Playhouse from 2-4PM. Good luck to all of our SES participants!
Monday April 8:
Last Day for Monday's After School Enrichment Programs - update School Dismissal Manager
Tuesday April 9:
- Lastly Day for Tuesday's Before AND After School Enrichment Programs - update School Dismissal Manager
- 6:30PM Before School Enrichment Performance of "The Circus" at the Ridgefield Theater Barn. The show will be approx. 30 mins.
- All District Chorus Rehearsal in cafeteria 4:30-6PM
Wednesday April 10:
- Gr. 5 Enrichment - Mad Science all day
- Gr. 4 Pambianchi Field Trip to Woodcock Nature Center
- All District Music Festival Rehearsal in cafeteria 4:30-6PM
Thursday April 11:
- Gr. 1 Enrichment - Mad Science all day
- Gr. 3 Field Trip to Playhouse Dr. Kaboom
Friday April 12:
Early Release Day - All students dismissed at 11:40AM, teachers remain for professional learning
Monday April 15-19 SPRING BREAK!
Week of April 1 - April 5
Autisum Awareness Week
Principal's Weekly Riddle Winners: Georgia A. Gr. 4/ Sophie S. Gr. 3 / Charlie R. Gr. 1
Week 10 of Before and After School Enrichment
Monday April 1:
Happy April Fool's Day!
Tuesday April 2:
Gr. 2 Enrichment - Stepping Stones to visit all day today
Wednesday April 3:
- Lastly Day for Wednesday After School Enrichment Programs - update School Dismissal Manager
- Gr. 5 Enrichment - Living Voices to visit all day today
- Gr. 6 Orientation at SRMS for all graduating fifth grade students
- Paraeducator Appreciation Day Today! Thank you to all of our paras for all the support and work you do for our school!
Thursday April 4:
Small Teacher Groups Collaborative Hour
Friday April 5:
- Last Day for Friday Before School Enrichment Programs
- Spirit Day - Wear your Favorite Hat or Blue for Autism Awareness Week!
Week of March 25- March 29
Week 9 of Before and After School Enrichment
Monday March 25:
NWEA MAP assessments for students in grades 3-5 begins
2019-2020 placement letter sent to all parents via email
Tuesday March 26:
AM fire drill planned for the school
Wednesday March 27:
2:30PM Second Grade Musical and Kindness Assembly in the Cafeteria. Second Grade Families are welcome to join.
4th Grade Field Trip to the Ridgefield Playhouse
Thursday March 28:
Connecticut Invention Convention Judging 8:45-10AM in the Gymnasium
Invention Convention Family Night 6-8:30PM in the Cafeteria
Friday March 29:
A special congratulations to all of our CT Invention Convention participants! Here are the six finalists who will move on to the State Championships at UConn in May:
1. The Non-Waste Bottle
by Cailin Olbrys, Mrs. Dougan's class, gr. 4
2. The Happy Shower
Lia Munoz Rojas, Mrs. Pambianchi's class, gr. 4
3. Scratch m Offs
Leo Vorozhbitskiy, Mrs. Trompetta's class, gr. 3
4. Monkey Grip
Colston Bauer, Mrs. Kirshner's class, gr.2
5. Kickin' the Ticks
Hazel Connally, Mrs. Trompetta's class, gr. 3
6. The Snow Stopper
Charlotte Collins, Mrs. Sergi's class, gr. 4
Week of March 18- March 22
Week 8 of Before and After School Enrichment
Monday March 18:
Scheduled Lockdown Drill in the AM, thank you for joining us Officer Daly as we practice this imporant exercise.
Report Cards Available on Powershool Parent Portal
Wednesday March 20:
Author Visit. Welcome Kate Klise!
IN THE LIBRARY:
GRADES 2-3 (40 minutes): 9:45 - 10:25 (Q&A: 10 minutes)
GRADES K-1 (40 minutes): 11:00 - 11:40 (Q&A: 5 minutes)
IN THE CAFETERIA:
GRADES 4-5 (50 minutes): 2:15 - 3:05 (Q&A: 10 minutes)
Thursday March 21:
PTA Executive Council Meeting - 8:45AM - 10AM
PTA General Meeting - 10AM - 11AM
CULTURAL ENRICHMENT TODAY for GRADE 3: Mad Science
10 - 11 - Mrs. Trompetta
12:30-1:30 - Mrs. Schafer
SES VS. VPES FACULTY VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT at 4:25PM today!
Friday March 22:
Take - A - Part Night in the cafeteria. Thank you PTA!
Week of March 11- March 15
Principal's Weekly Riddle Winner: Ella from Grade 2
Week 7 of Before and After School Enrichment
Thursday March 14:
Early Release Day. Students dismissed at 11:40AM
Teachers in Responsive Classroom Level 2 Training in the PM
Friday March 15:
2nd Grade field experience at the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT.
Week of March 4 - March 8
Principal's Weekly Riddle Winner: Louis from Grade 4!
Week 6 of Before and After School Enrichment
Monday March 4: Snow Day Schools and Offices Closed
- Parents, continue to input dismissal exceptions (changes) to School Dismissal Manager.
- Don't forget to place your orders for our upcoming author's visit on March 20.
Tuesday March 5:
AM Faculty Meeting - Happy Pancake Tuesday
Friday March 8:
Kindergarten Field Trip to Stepping Stones Museum
Week of February 25 - March 1
Week 5 of Before and After School Enrichment
Principal's Weekly Riddle Winner: Hadley from Gr. 4
Monday February 25: Early Dismissal at 12:20PM today due to power outage.
Families, check your email inbox and spam for a message from 'School Dismissal Manager'. The email contains your individualized username and password.
- School Dismissal Manager Information Session from 5:30-6:30PM. Cancelled due to power outage.
- Regularly scheduled BOE evening at 7:00PM in the Annex Conference Room.
Tuesday February 26:
- Select teachers to attend YALE University's RULER conference
Wednesday February 27
We welcome First Selectman Mr. Rudy Marconi in joining us for our First Grade Kindness Assembly @ 9:30AM for K-5 students | 2PM for first grade families
Thursday February 28:
- Kindergarten Registration all day in the MakerSpace
- School Dismissal Manager Information Sessions from 8-8:30AM & 5-6PM
- Meet and Greet Dr. Collins, RPS' New Superintendent of Schools from 5:30-7PM at the Keeler Tavern Garden Room
Friday March 1: 3-hour delay school begins at 11:35AM
- SPIRIT DAY! Wear your favorite teams jersey or shirt to show your team spirit!
- First day of School Dismissal Manager! If you have a change of dismissal, remember to put in your exception by 1:00PM. Please call the office if you need assistance
- Family Science Night! PTA Sponsored. 6:30-7:30PM
Week of February 18 - February 22
Week 4 of Before and After School Enrichment
Monday February 18: Schools Closed for President's Day
Tuesday February 19: No school for students. Teachers in all day Professional Development.
Dr. Collins, Superintendent of Schools' First Day in Ridgefield
Wednesday February 20 - ALL STUDENTS RETURN TO SCHOOL
1PM School Dismissal Manager Info Session for Parents
4PM SDM Info session and ALL after school activities canceled due to inclement weather
Thursday, February 21: 2 Hour Delay due to inclement weather.
Friday, February 22: 2nd Grade Team visits New Rochelle, NY for Greg Tang Math PD
Week of February 11 - February 15
Week 3 of Before and After School Enrichment
February 11: It's the 100th day of school!
BOE Public Hearing for Budget 7PM in the Annex Conference room
February 12: RPS SCHOOLS CLOSED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER - See you on Wednesday 2/13
Second Grade Team visits New Rochelle, NY for Greg Tang Math PD (Rescheduled to 2/22)
February 13: Two Hour Delay Due to Inclement Weather
February 14: Happy Valentine's Day!
Early Release Thursday - All students will be dimsissed at 11:40AM. Teachers will remain for professional learning.
SEE YOU ALL ON WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 20th. Have a great long weekend.
February 15th: Closed for President's Day Weekend. Offices open.
Week of February 4 - February 8
It's Black History Month!
Week 2 of Before and After School Enrichment
Strategic Planning Sub-Committee Board of Education Meeting to discuss NGSS and Math tonight at 6PM in the Annex.
Regularly scheduled Board of Education Meeting tonight at 7PM to follow in the Annex.
February 5: Happy Chinese New Year to our families who celebrate this special tradition!
AM Faculty meeting in the library
February 6: Select faculty to attend professional learning today
CT Invention Convention Information Night #1, 6-7PM in the SES Cafe
February 8: AM Yearbook Committee Meeting in the Makerspace
CT Invention Convention Information Night #2, 6-7PM in the SES Cafe
Week of January 28 - February 1
Week 1 of Before and After School Enrichment
January 28: Before and After School Enrichment Activities begin! If your child has a change of dismissal, don't forget to write a note or call the office ot let us know! We always want to make sure each of our students get home safely and promptly.
Regularly scheduled BOE meeting tonight at 7PM in the Annex Conference Room at the Board of Education Offices
January 30: Schools Closed Due to Inclement Weather
January 31: 2 hour delay. SES will begin at 10:35AM this morning!
February 1: Wear your 'HEARTS' Spirit Day! Show your school spirit by donning your wildest hearts :)
Band and Orchestra rehearsals today - don't forget your instruments!
Week of January 21-25
Thank you SES PTA for a great Family Game Night!
January 21: Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Schools Closed
January 22: Letters for Kindergarten registration mailed out
Do you know anyone who has a child ready to enter Kindergarten?
Let them know to give us a call and we'll help them register for the 2019-2020 academic year!
January 25: PTA Family Fun Night 7:00PM
Week of January 14-18
CODING WEEK BEGINS - GET READY STUDENT CODERS!
January 14: Ms. Violante and educators from 'SCRATCH CODING' kick-off a week long coding experience for students K-5 in the Library Media Center.
Regular BOE meeting on the Superintendent's Proposed Budget at 7PM in the Annex Conference Room.
January 15: AM Faculty Meeting in the Library.
January 16: Special BOE Meeting to discuss Elementary School budget at 7PM in the Annex Conference Room.
January 17: Small Group Collaborative Hour Professional Learning for teachers after school.
January 18: Last day to register for PTA sponsored Before & After School Enrichment Programs.
Welcome to Dr. Katie Lindner from Columbia University's Teachers College Reading and Writing Project who will be leading professional learning for our faculty.
Grade Three Art Showcase at the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art from 5-8PM. Thank you to Mrs. Zeyer for all of her extra time and work in putting together such a wonderful celebration of the Arts!
Week of January 7-11
January 7: A reminder to all SES parents and students to sign up for the PTA sponsored 'Before and After School Enrichment' programs! Registration Deadline is January 18. visit scotlandpta.org for more information.
CLICK HERE to view course catalog.
CLICK HERE for Before School registration .
CLICK HERE for After School registration.
January 8: AM Faculty Meeting
January 10: Early Release Day. All students will be dismissed at 11:40AM. Lunch will be served. Teachers will be in professional learning for the afternoon.
January 11: PTA sponsored Family Game Night has been rescheduled to Friday, January 25th at 6PM.
Week of January 2-4
January 1: Happy New Year SES!
January 2: Welcome back to Mrs. E. Abrantes, Gr. 1 teacher and thank you to Mrs. P. Kralick for a wonderful first half of the year. Also, Welcome to Mrs. E. Kutrubis who is joining our special education faculty.
January 4: Animal Spirit Day! Take a look at all the fabulous outfits below.
Week of December 17-21
December 17th: We welcome Dr. Alison Villanueva to Scotland Elementary School! Parent Coffees will take place this week.
December 18th: 4th and 5th grade Winter Concert tonight at 7PM. Don't forget to wear your concert attire student performers.
December 20th: Thank you to all the wonderful parent volunteers for helping us organize classroom parties for the holiday season this afternoon.
December 21st: Join us for our holiday sing a long at 8:50AM! Today is an early release day. Students will be dismissed at 11:40AM