Grade 8 Science
Ms. Reide * School Year 2016-17 * 801, 802, 803, 804
Welcome to Grade 8 Science!
Living Environment * Physics * Review for NYSSE Earth Science, Chemistry
This year in Science we will be preparing for the New York State Science Exam in June! The test is mandatory and will be based on all the science you have learned from 5th grade through 8th, which means that we have much to do. You and your Parents/Guardians can reference this website. It will have instructions for the day's lessons and important messages. In the upper left hand corner is a link to the school year calendar.
The materials you will need this year are:
- Glue sticks
- Pencils and pens
- scissors (child size only! Full size scissors are not allowed in class and will be taken for safety reasons)
- fine line and thick markers
- Access to the internet (I know that some may not have this. That is ok. If you do not have access to a computer or internet your parent/guardian must return the required form so I can make other arrangements for your work.).
My expectations are as follows:
- Arrive to class on time and prepared!
- Complete all work on the due date. Late work will be marked down 10 points for each day for two days, after that you will receive a zero.
- Be courteous and follow all the rules in the classroom. Students that do not follow the rules of the classroom will receive a zero for classwork that day.
- Make up any work that you have missed. You must schedule time to make up a lab or receive a zero for that lab.
Sign up for CK-12. CK-12 is a free learning website that we will use as a resource repeatedly. This is also a resource for other content areas and may be useful for study purposes. Click on the link below and sign up with your school email!
Instructions for creating your online notebook and science folder (including Today's Lesson document):
9/8/16 Creating my science notebook and science folders will be done in class. You will follow these directions.
This notebook will be used instead of a composition book, even if you do not have access to a computer or internet at home. All lecture notes and shared documents will be found in this notebook. When it is time for a test, or work from home, you will have to make copies of notes/resources at school, or complete work after school with a permission slip on Tuesdays between 2:20 and 3:30, or sign up during your lunch period. You can also find computers at the local library. No paper copies of work will be accepted.
1. Go to the website Science Notebook Template
2. Make a copy from the template (look at the blue bar at the top and click on use this template).
4. Create the folders and place in the appropriate Google Sites pages.