Seal of Biliteracy
What is The Seal of Biliteracy? SoBL
The Seal of Biliteracy is an endorsement given by a school or school district in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation. The Seal appears on the transcript or diploma of the graduating senior and is a statement of accomplishment for future employers and for college admissions.
Why Implement a Seal of Biliteracy?
A Seal of Biliteracy is a statement by the school system that mastery of two or more languages is important. It encourages students to pursue biliteracy, honors the skills our students attain, and can be evidence of skills that are attractive to future employers and college admissions offices. The Seal of Biliteracy:
- Encourages students to study languages
- Certifies attainment of biliteracy skills
- Recognizes the value of language diversity
- Provides employers with a method of identifying people with high level literacy skills in multiple languages
- Provides universities with a method to recognize applicants for high level skills in multiple languages
- Prepares students with 21st century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- Strengthens intergroup relationships and honor the multiple cultures and languages in a community.