Student Technology Support
Extended School Closure at Pattonville High School
This site is here to help Pattonville High School students and parents with technology support. As we move into distance learning after spring break on March 30th, these are some resources that may help you.
High School teachers sent home work and instructions with students on 3/16 and 3/17 to accommodate remote learning from March 30th-April 10th.
Teachers have prepared non-digital plans that can be printed and disseminated from the Learning Center if necessary. Call Dr. Joe Dobrinic at (314) 213-8133 if you have questions about accessing a printed plan.
The Learning at Home handout has some helpful reminders and student guidelines for using Google Meet.
Communicating with Teachers
Students can email all teachers by logging into their Pattonville Gmail account in a web browser or using the Gmail App on a mobile device, composing a new message, and typing in the teacher name.
Additionally, teachers can use Google Meet to set up a video conference with students.
Digitial Learning Platforms
The majority of teachers have been using Moodle or Google Classroom as a digital learning platform for the entire school year. Teachers will continue to use already established means of communication with students.
(Only 9 teachers at PHS are piloting this platform) If a teacher has been using Canvas, then students are aware of this. They launch Canvas from the Google "Waffle" or Google Apps menu.
This handout shows how students login to accounts. They also should have this document on their laptop.
We may not be able to service broken devices at this time or provide a loaner laptop.
Be extra careful not to use open beverages or liquid anywhere near your laptop. If your device gets wet, TURN OFF THE LAPTOP IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT turn it back on. Fill out the help request form.
Accessibility Settings on MacBook
MacBook Apps that require no Internet and are already on student devices:
- Presentations→ Keynote & PowerPoint
- Documents→ Pages & Word
- Spreadsheets→ Numbers & Excel
- Writing/journaling→ Notes App, Pages, Word
- Recording Video, Audio, or Screen→ Quicktime
- Recording Video→ PhotoBooth
- Recording Audio→ VoiceMemos
Keynote & Numbers are great options because you can insert media and record audio easily.
Frequently Asked Questions & Troubleshooting tips:
YouTube videos from my teachers won't play. What can I do?
- Try using the Chrome Browser instead of Safari. Safari doesn't play nicely with embedded YouTube videos, even videos in Moodle or Google Classroom.
- Make sure you are signed into your Pattonville Google account and SIGN OUT of any other personal Google accounts.
- Quit (⌘Q) the browser and reopen it.
- Restart your computer by clicking on the and choose "Restart"
Google Meet: I tried to join a Google Meet session with my teacher, but my microphone or camera aren't allowed. What can I do?
- Restart your computer by clicking on the and chose "Restart." This works in most cases.
- If restarting doesn't work, click on > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and from there click on Camera or Microphone and select the box next to Google Chrome.
Zoom: I tried to join a Zoom session, but it's not working. What can I do?
- Restart your computer by clicking on the and chose "Restart."
- Open the Chrome web browser.
- Go to https://zoom.us/join and enter a meeting code and the password when prompted
- 9th and 10th graders: You cannot open in the Zoom app because you don't have the app. Wait for the prompt at the bottom of the screen to say "join from browser"
- 11th and 12th graders, you should have the Zoom app.
- If you microphone or camera won't let you join: go to > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and from there click on Camera or Microphone and select the box next to Google Chrome or Zoom depending on which one you are using.