Because virtual instruction can be an effective education option for some students, there may be courses available either through a district-provided virtual option or through the Missouri Course Access Program (MOCAP). Virtual course enrollment requests must be made within the first 5 school days of the semester or upon registration for mid-semester transfer students from another public or charter school.
Additional Information can be found at https://mocap.mo.gov/.
Prior to enrolling in a virtual or online course, interested individuals should consider if the student possesses the skills and attitudes necessary for success:
Student Skills Necessary for Success in Virtual Courses
- Student has demonstrated time-management skills that indicate the student is capable of submitting assignment and completing course requirements without reminders
- Student has demonstrated persistence in overcoming obstacles and willingness to seek assistance when needed.
- Student has demonstrated verbal or written communication skills that would allow the student to succeed in an environment where the instructor may not provide nonverbal cues to support the student’s understanding.
- Student has the necessary computer or technical skills to succeed in a virtual course.
- Student has access to technology resources to participate in a virtual course.
Placement will also take into consideration the student’s previous success (or struggle) in virtual coursework.
- Step 1: Virtual Course Request
- Step 2: Counselor will contact the parent/guardian to arrange a team meeting
Virtual course enrollment requests must be made within the first five school days of the semester or upon registration for mid-semester transfer students from another public or charter school.
District Legal Notice
Because virtual instruction can be an effective education option for some students, the district may offer virtual courses to students through district staff or by contracting for those services as part of the district-sponsored curriculum. In addition, eligible students may enroll in virtual courses offered through the Missouri Course Access Program (MOCAP). The district will accept all grades and credits earned through district-sponsored virtual instruction and MOCAP.
The district will pay the costs of a virtual course only if the district has first approved the student's enrollment in the course as described in this policy. Even if a student or his or her parents/guardians pay the costs for a virtual course, the student or parents/guardians should meet with the principal or designee prior to enrollment to ensure that the course is consistent with the student's academic and personal goals.
The district is not required to provide students access to or pay for courses beyond the equivalent of full-time enrollment. The district will provide supervision for students who take virtual courses in district facilities but will not provide supervision for students taking virtual courses offsite.
Students taking courses virtually are subject to district policies, procedures and rules applicable to students enrolled in traditional courses including, but not limited to, the district's discipline code and prohibitions on academic dishonesty, discrimination, harassment, bullying and cyberbullying.
For more information about the program in Pattonville, view the Pattonville School District Policy IGCD.