Mrs. Megan Markgren
3rd/4th Grade Teacher
DAILY LESSON PLANS :
- District Optional Lesson Plans: 3-5 Nature
Week 9: SPIRIT WEEK!!!!
- TUESDAY, MAY 26th: LESSON PLAN ASSIGNMENT LOG
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 27th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, MAY 28th: LESSON PLAN
- MONDAY, MAY 18th: LESSON PLAN ASSIGNMENT LOG
- TUESDAY, MAY 19th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 20th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, MAY 21st: LESSON PLAN
- FRIDAY, MAY 22nd: FLEXIBLE FRIDAY MENU END OF WEEK REFLECTION
- MONDAY, MAY 11th: LESSON PLAN READING LOG ASSIGNMENT LOG
- TUESDAY, MAY 12th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 13th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, MAY 14th: LESSON PLAN
- FRIDAY, MAY 15th: FLEXIBLE FRIDAY MENU END OF WEEK REFLECTION
- MONDAY, MAY 4th: LESSON PLAN ASSIGNMENT LOG FAMOUS PERSON CHECK-IN
- TUESDAY, MAY 5th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 6th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, MAY 7th: LESSON PLAN
- FRIDAY, MAY 8th: FLEXIBLE FRIDAY MENU END OF WEEK REFLECTION
- MONDAY, APRIL 27th: LESSON PLAN ASSIGNMENT LOG NEW READING LOG
- TUESDAY, APRIL 28th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, APRIL 30th: LESSON PLAN
- FRIDAY, MAY 1st: FLEXIBLE FRIDAY MENU FAMOUS PERSON CHECK-IN END OF WEEK REFLECTION
- MONDAY, APRIL 13th: LESSON PLAN ASSIGNMENT LOG I KNOW IT LOG IN INFORMATION
- TUESDAY, APRIL 14th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, APRIL 16th: LESSON PLAN
- MONDAY, APRIL 6th: LESSON PLAN NEW ASSIGNMENT LOG
- TUESDAY, APRIL 7th: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8th: LESSON PLAN
- THURSDAY, APRIL 9th: LESSON PLAN
- FRIDAY, APRIL 10th: LESSON PLAN END OF WEEK REFLECTION
- MONDAY, MARCH 30th: LESSON PLAN UPDATED READING LOG NEW ASSIGNMENT LOG
- TUESDAY, MARCH 31st: LESSON PLAN
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 1st: LESSON PLAN MIRADI'S CRONOGRAMA
- THURSDAY, APRIL 2nd: LESSON PLAN FAMOUS PERSON CHECK IN
- FRIDAY, APRIL 3rd: LESSON PLAN FAMOUS PERSON CHECK IN END OF WEEK REFLECTION
ZOOM VIDEO MEETINGS:
- The district is using Zoom to help all members of the Portland Public School community stay in touch during school closures. In an effort to help students stay connected with their peers and myself, I have set up times to chat and meet with small groups of students. All meetings will be held at 9am for anybody who would like to join, I will be there!
- To sign up for free visit: https://zoom.us/signup (don't worry, it was easy to sign up and easy to navigate)
- To view the meeting schedule, click here: Mrs. Markgren Zoom Chats
TALKING WITH YOUR CHILD ABOUT COVID-19
Here are some resources to help you talk with your child at home about COVID-19!
New York Times Learning Page (regularly updated)
Keeping a schedule or a routine has been proven to help reduce anxiety in children. Here is a link to a sample schedule for home use that I created. Please feel free to modify for your families needs and use at home if it's helpful!
COVID- 19 AT HOME LEARNING RESOURCES/PLANS
- Beginning March 23rd I will be sending a daily email to families with a suggested schedule for at home learning. The district will be working on distributing work packets to families on Wednesday, 3.18. These packets will include materials in a hard-copy form that will support learning that was happening in the classroom. Below are links to websites and documents to support distance learning.
- FAMOUS PERSON DAY RESEARCH CRITERIA: A hard copy of the Famous Person Research Criteria should be sent home in a work packet from Longfellow. I have also emailed a PDF of this document. Here is a link as well: Famous Person Research Criteria
- READING LINKS:
- Epic!: https://www.getepic.com/students Epic! has allowed free access for students during the COVID-19 school closures. Here is our classroom code: axb3977. A link to join was emailed to one of the email addresses listed for your child in the classroom-directory.
- NEWSELA: https://newsela.com/quickjoin/#/FDTZ3Z By clicking on this link you will be joining our classroom site. Here you will see a selection of articles that I have assigned students. I will continue to add articles to this collection that connect with the learning that we are doing in the classroom.
- READING LOG: When school is closed for vacation, Longfellow students participate in a reading challenge! Attached you will find a similarly structured reading log to help track minutes read! Any reading counts! Here is the link to the Reading Challenge: Updated Reading Log At Home Reading Challenge Log
- SCHEDULE OF LIVE AUTHOR READ-A-LOUDS: Author Read A-Louds
- Dav Pilkey At Home
- MATH PRACTICE:
- THAT QUIZ: https://www.thatquiz.org/ This website allows students to practice their math facts. By clicking on the "Arithmetic" tab you will open a window that will allow you to select the operation on the left hand side. The length tab will allow you to select the number of problems and the timer allows for a timed practice.
- MOTION MATH: play.motionmathgames.com/ Class Code: chgpx
- KHAN ACADEMY: https://www.khanacademy.org/join/PGQZG6P8 What is Khan Academy? Khan Academy offers exercises, quizzes, and tests so students can practice and master skills, as well as instructional videos to help students learn or review material. Khan Academy has a library of standards-aligned lessons covering kindergarten through early college math, grammar, science, history, AP® courses, SAT® preparation, and more. Students can practice skills with exercises, quizzes, and mastery challenges and get immediate feedback and support. Students without laptops can access the Khan Academy website or use the Khan Academy app on smartphones.
- Link To Student Log-In Information: Khan. Academy Student Log-In
- Khan Academy Information for Parents: https://khanacademy.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040167432-How-can-Khan-Academy-be-used-for-remote-learning-during-school-closures-
- In Portuguese: https://s3.amazonaws.com/KA-share/Translations/ParentsClosure_Portugal.pdf
- SCIENCE VIDEOS:
- MYSTERY SCIENCE: Below are links to science lessons and activities for third graders. These activities can be completed at home with materials that parents will generally have on-hand.
- Mini Lessons ( 15-30 Minutes, All Digital):
- Full Lessons (45-90 Minutes, Includes Hands on Activity):
- MS.SERWAY'S WEEKLY LESSONS:
- MRS.BROWN ART: Mrs. Brown Art: www.mrsbrown.art/drive Mrs.Brown Art on Instagram has reminded people that she has hundreds of free power points available online. She wrote: "I want to share my resources to parents and teachers who may be home-schooling for a while during the #COVID19 quarantine period. We’re all in this together."
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
- FROM MR.MURPH: Here is a link to a home workout log from Mr.Murph Workout Log
- YOGA WITH ADRIENE: Yoga with Adriene provides high quality practices on yoga and mindfulness at no cost to inspire people of all ages, shapes and sizes. It is You Tubed base. Here is a link to one specifically made for kids! https://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-for-kids/
- OTHER IDEAS FOR OUTDOOR FUN:
- Capture the Flag
- Outdoor Races (Race around your neighborhood or yard)
- Hula Hoop
- Family Dance Parties
- Outdoor Sports (Basketball, Soccer, Baseball)
- MUSIC WITH MR.SUTOR: Check Mr.Sutor's website for weekly lesson plans. Mr.Sutor's Website
- SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY: A great interactive website to continue music learning! Recommended by my mom who has been a music teacher for 40 years :) ! Learn about the different parts of the orchestra. Make sure to check out the Music Lab where you can learn to play a tune with your computer keyboard by using the Performalator or write a tune of your own using the Composerizer! http://www.sfskids.org/classic/templates/home.asp?pageid=1
- ANTONIO STRADIVARI: Read about Antonio Stradivari, a famous violinist! Next time we work with the Portland Symphony Orchestra you will have some new information to share! https://kids.britannica.com/students/article/Antonio-Stradivari/277916
- TYPING PRACTICE: https://www.typing.com/student/login
- SECOND STEP: Families can also go online to find resources and activities to support Second Step at home. Here are directions to gain access:
- 1. Go to www.secondstep.org
- 2. Under New Users, click “Create Account”
- 3. Complete the required fields
- 4. Add Program Activation Key: SSPE FAMI LY68
ABOUT ME : I am a 3rd and 4th grade looping teacher at Longfellow Elementary School. I originally graduated with a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Marketing from Florida Gulf Coast University and after a short career in the business world, quickly decided to pursue my teaching certification through Husson University. I began my student teaching at Longfellow Elementary in the Fall of 2009 and was hired the following year. Longfellow Elementary school is the only school I have ever known throughout my teaching career and I am happy to be part of such a close-knit community that is truly dedicated to the learning of our children. Outside of school you will most often find me spending time with my husband Derek . We love to go camping, hiking and fly- fishing. Traveling the world is also a passion of mine, I have traveled to Guatemala, Mexico, South East Asia, Jordan, Peru and have recently started exploring Europe. I also enjoy soaking up the sun on Maine's beautiful beaches in the summer.