6th Grade Curriculum
The curriculum divides the year into the following five units:
The Number System
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
- Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
Ratios and Proportions
- Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
Expressions and Equations
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
- Develop understanding of statistical variability.
- Summarize and describe distributions.
The NJ Student Learning Standards for 6th Grade Math can be viewed on the link below.