Central High School
Social Studies Department
- Service Trip to Tanzania! - Mrs. Wesley in the Social Studies department, with the help of EF Educational Tours, organized a service learning trip to Tanzania for March of 2020. She is recruiting current 9th and 10th graders to participate in an 11 to 14 day, all-inclusive trip to perform service work in the Arusha region of Tanzania. We will be living and working with locals to build and restore the regions overcrowded and outdated schools. We will also have the opportunity to travel to Lake Manyara Park for the chance to see the "Big 5" game animals. Students will engage in meaningful work in which they will be able to earn service hours, and both high school and college credit.
- How to get in to AP and Honors Social Studies Classes:
- Have excellent attendance with no unexcused absences or class cuts! That's the first thing we check.
- Get all A's! B's are good too, but will move you down in the rankings. The most popular classes are very tough to get in to.
- Do your best on the PSAT. College Board sends a list of students with "AP Potential" based on an analysis of your PSAT scores. You want to be on that list.
- Get high recommendations from your teachers. Show them you are hard working, responsible, mature, consistent, critical thinking, and have academic integrity.
- Apply for AP and Honors on the Social Studies website. Good luck!