PSA Parent Community Association
Rock the Walk for Palmetto Scholars Academy
Friday, November 1st At PSA – 9am-2pm
Donation Drive - Now through Tuesday, October 29th
What is Rock the Walk for Palmetto Scholars Academy? The entire PSA community (students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and families) are invited to complete a fun walk on campus in North Charleston. Unlike some walks, we are NOT collecting pledges for the number of loops or distance walked. Each walker will collect donations up front for participating in the walk. All donations should be collected during the Donation Drive from now through October 29, 2019. Donations can be any amount! Donate online at https://www.psaschool.org/walk/
What are the goals for the Walk for PSA? Why are we having a Walk? We are aiming for 100% student participation. All of the donations will go directly to the school’s unfunded needs. Proceeds from last year’s walk helped defray costs for field trips, purchase equipment and supplies for clubs and classrooms, and helped some of our award winning academic teams travel to national competitions. There are other benefits, too! We will be promoting the school, celebrating our PSA spirit, and getting some exercise. It will be a fun day that will give students some ownership in the school’s fundraising efforts, while promoting a healthy habit of exercise.
Where do I get donations? You can ask friends, neighbors, co-workers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, doctors, dentists, orthodontists, coaches, babysitters, tutors, almost anyone, and they can give any amount ($1, $5, etc). It is easier than you think – most people are happy to help. The key is to ask.
What are the prizes and will everyone win something? All students will get a free Rock the Walk for PSA T-Shirt. Other prizes (determined by student packets received by the deadline of 10/29/2019) include:
- The student who receives the highest DOLLAR amount of donations will win a $100 Amazon gift card.
- The House with the highest PERCENTAGE of students turning in donations will be awarded a pizza party. In addition, House points will be awarded: 50 pts for 1st, 30 for 2nd, 15 for 3rd.
- The top ten students who collect the highest DOLLAR amount of donations will each get a limo ride to Chik Fil A for lunch with Dr. Gott.
- The top ten students who get the highest NUMBER of donations get to choose a song to be played during the walk.
- All students who raise at least $250 will get $20 Amazon gift cards.
- If total donations received reaches $10,000, the faculty will challenge the Varsity Volleyball team!
- BONUS CHALLENGE: If total donations received reaches $15,000, Dr. Gott will color his hair in PSA Phoenix colors! This is attainable if each PSA student gets $25 worth of donations! Ms. McCants will color her hair at $20,000, and Ms. Rutherford will join them if we reach $25,000!
When do I turn in my sponsor donation money? All money and Donation Sheets are due on Tuesday, October 29th. Please turn them in at the front desk. Any checks should be made out to PSA PCA. Additional sponsor sheets are available from the school office or the PSA PCA website.
Who do I go to for questions? If you have questions or want to volunteer at the walk, please contact the PCA at email@example.com. We will need a few helpers on walk day. We are looking forward to November 1st being a fun, spirited day! Thanks so much for your help, your contributions and participation!
Thank you very much for supporting the PSA community through PCA membership!
The PSA Parent and Community Association (PCA) is a volunteer organization which exists to support and enrich the academic and community life of the students at Palmetto Scholars Academy and to aid the faculty, staff and administration of the school in carrying out their work.
We do this through sponsoring extra-curricular activities, financially supporting teacher and student requests for needed items, and coordinating volunteers. We conduct fundraising events to make this possible. Some of our past activities include: kick-off picnic / ice cream social to start the school year, formal dances, pancake breakfasts, BBQ dinners, talent show / silent auction. A few examples of the many things we've purchased: equipment for the classrooms, ice machine for our concession stand, microphones, furniture for the school, sponsored many events (or provided up-front money needed for the event), helped defray the costs of field trips, helped purchase a piano and keyboards/software for the music program and supported many of our academic teams when they qualified for state or national competitions.
- To support the continuation of the quality education being provided at PSA
- To Protect the children and work to maintain a safe and healthy environment at the school.
- To foster effective lines of communication between parents and the board of directors, faculty, and administration of PSA.
- To support, preserve, and expand the sense of community and allegiance to PSA.
- To provide additional cultural and education enrichment opportunities for the school through fund-raising efforts.
2019 - 2020 PCA Leadership:
President: John Warder – email
Vice President: Doneen Frohlich
Secretary: Marcy Freeman
Treasurer: Susan Durand
Members at Large:
Allison Warder, Megan deJager, Aspa Clark, Stephanie Strauchon, Lisa Hakamiun,
Ben Gandy, Sheri Glaab, Letitia Greaves, Jessica Burnside, Nola Freedman and Marcy Freeman
School Festival: Open
Walk-A-Thon: Sherry Glab / Susan Durand
Teacher Appreciation: Megan deJager
Communication: Sherry Glaab
Ongoing Fundraising: Lisa Hakamiun / Allison Warder
School Merchandise: Doneen Frohlich
Faculty Luncheons: Stephanie Strauchon
Palmetto Scholars Academy ~ Parent Community Association
7499 Dorchester Road, North Charleston, SC 29418
Phone: 843-300-4118 Fax: 843-300-4123