Culturally Responsive Practices
What are Culturally Responsive Practices?
According to www.brown.edu, culture is central to learning. It plays a role not only in communicating and receiving information, but also in shaping the thinking process of groups and individuals. A pedagogy that acknowledges, responds to, and celebrates fundamental cultures offers full, equitable access to education for students from all cultures.
1) Commit to knowing your students well.
2) No matter the subject matter, build on your students’ life experiences.
3) Create a classroom learning community.
4) Hold high academic standards and expectations for all of your students, and enthusiastically encourage all students to reach those standards and beyond.
5) Understand your own cultural identity, and its consequences.