LVA is a public, magnet school that provides students with a twofold emphasis on academics and the arts.
- LVA has received twelve GRAMMY Signature School Awards, an honor unparalleled by any other high school in the nation
- LVA was named a 2018-23 Exemplary Arts School by the Arts School Network, the nation's largest professional membership organization of specialized arts schools
- LVA was named a National Magnet School of Distinction by Magnet Schools of America in 2017
- LVA received the 2014 Grammy Signature Gold status for outstanding accomplishments in the Fine Arts
- U.S. News and World Report recognizes LVA as one of America's top high schools, awarding the school a Silver rating
LVA World Jazz Studies Awards
- 14 DownBeat Awards since 2002 in categories such as Large Jazz Ensemble (2018 & 2015), Latin Ensemble (2014), Blues Band (2013), Small Jazz Combo (2013), and Soloist Award (2012)
- Performed at 2009 & 2016 Monterey Jazz Festivals
- 10-time finalist at Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival since 2002
- 'Best in State' at the Reno Jazz Festival every year in attendance
- Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival - Best in Class for Big Band and Combo
- Invitations to perform at the 2009 & 2014 Midwest Clinic International Band and Orchestra Conference; Brandon Jazz Festival; Jazz Education Network Conference; and International Association of Jazz Educators Conference
Patrick Bowen has been the Director of the World Jazz Studies program at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts since 2001. He is presently the Principal Percussionist with the Las Vegas Philharmonic and performed in a two-year run as a percussionist in “Showstoppers” at Wynn Las Vegas Hotel and Casino. He played in the Sinatra 100: An All-Star GRAMMY Concert with stars such as Celine Dion, Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga, Garth Brooks, Harry Connick, Jr., Seth MacFarlane, and Usher to commemorate Frank Sinatra’s 100th birthday. He has been a guest soloist with the Hartt Symphony, Henderson Civic Orchestra, and UNLV Percussion Ensemble. He has also played with Elton John, Clint Black, Sheila E, Wynona Judd, Lionel Richie, Dudley Moore, Boys II Men, Michael Bolton, Kenny G, Olete Adams, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, Don Henley, Tim McGraw, Brian McKnight, Andrea Bocelli, and David Foster.
Mr. Bowen has a Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance from the Hartt School of Music (Cum Laude), a Master’s degree in Music Performance from the University of Montana, and a Teaching Certificate from UNLV. He studied jazz under Jackie McClean, Nat Reeves, Jaki Byard, Nama Jeff, and Alexander Lepak. Patrick Bowen is proud to be endorsed by Crescent Cymbals, Grover Pro Percussion, and Regal Tip by Calato.
Cecil Myers is the Assistant Director of Jazz Studies at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts where he teaches Jazz and Music Theory. Teaching in the Clark County School District since 1997, Cecil's jazz programs have performed all over the world including performances in Rome, Edinburgh, and the prestigious Birdland Jazz Club in New York City. His bands have performed with top jazz artists including Avishai Cohen, Bobby Sanabria, Rob Derke, the New York Jazz Initiative, and NMEA Jazz Master Candido Camero. He has held positions as the President of the International Association for Jazz Education Nevada Chapter (NVJazz), the Nevada Music Educators Association All-State Jazz Band Chair, and the Clark County School District Honor Jazz Band Chair.
Mr. Myers earned his Bachelors degree in Music Education from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. While at UNLV, he studied woodwinds under Felix Viscuglia, conducting under Takayoshi “Tad” Suzuki, and Jazz under Frank Gagliardi, Rocky Winslow, and Stefan Karlsson.
Sue Mirman, our Jazz Department Instructional Assistant, is a native Chicagoan and retired optometrist. Inspired by her parents who developed homes for disabled children and adults, Sue has always incorporated volunteerism into her life. Throughout college and graduate school, while practicing optometry and raising her family, Sue volunteered at her children’s schools and with organizations such as Acts of Kindness and the I Have a Dream Foundation. She serves on the Executive Board for Win Win Entertainment and on the Advisory Board for Friends of LVA. Sue joined the LVA Jazz Department as a full time volunteer in 2013 and became an official member of the team in 2015.
Dr. Mirman earned her Doctor of Optometry degree from the Illinois College of Optometry. She holds a Bachelors degree in Vision Science from ICO and a Bachelors in Education from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.