Jerry Knight STEM Academy
2019-2020 Admission Application
Application Window: December 3, 2018 through January 11, 2019
Deadline for Applications: January 11, 2019 @ 4:00 p.m.
The STEM Academy is an advanced academic program located at Wester Middle School. The academy is designed to provide a rigorous and focused course of study emphasizing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Coursework is advanced within a Pre-AP concentration and integrates project/problem based learning and Makerspace with open learning environments. The learning environment at the academy gives learners “voice and choice” to create, invent, tinker, and explore with the result being high quality and authentic products. Learners will use 21st century skills; including collaboration, communication, creative thinking and critical thinking, while excelling in academic content.
Student Target Measures
A learner profile will assist in the identification of learners that have the potential to be successful in the Jerry Knight STEM Academy. A learner meeting or exceeding the target measures below will have a higher probability of success at the STEM Academy. We will look at applications meeting the highest levels of the target measures first based on the pool of applicants.
- Achievement Data:
- Pre-AP 5th grade Math - 1st semester 90 or higher
- Pre-AP 5th grade Science - 1st semester 90 or higher
- 4th Grade STAAR Reading – 1550 or higher scale score
- 4th Grade STAAR Math – 1670 or higher scale score
- 4th Grade STAAR Writing – 3863 or higher scale score
- Norm referenced performance on (these assessments will be scheduled in February):
- MAP Science Achievement
(Parents can access their learner’s 4th grade STAAR scores by referring to their 2018 Confidential Student Report or contacting their learner’s intermediate campus.)
Submitting your application
Once you have read and understand the admission criteria, click the link below to submit your application. Please know that once the application form is started, it must be completed in its entirety. You will NOT be able to save and resume later. You might consider typing essay answers in a word processing program prior to beginning the online application. You will be able to copy and paste answers from a word processing program into the online form.
If you would like to view the application before opening the application submission form, view the preview application link below.
Paper applications must be submitted to:
MISD Student Service Office
609 East Broad Street,
Mansfield, Texas 76063
STEP 1: Complete the Application
- Applications are available here, OR the Jerry Knight STEM Academy Office OR at your learner's current campus front office.
- Applications must be submitted online or to the MISD Student Service office located at 609 East Broad Street by January 11, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Applications will not be accepted after 4:00 p.m. on January 11th.
- Complete the Learner and Parent/Guardian Sections- Section 1 of the application.
- Learners must complete the short answer questions in the space provided on Section 2 of the application.
- Section 1 and 2 of the application must be submitted concurrently online or to Student Services by the stated deadline.
STEP 2: Application Review
- After a completed application is submitted, the application will be reviewed based on target measures that will include information gathered from:
- 5th grade Pre-AP Math grades (1st semester)
- 5th grade Pre-AP Science grades (1st semester)
- 4th Grade STAAR Reading Scale Score
- 4th Grade STAAR Math Scale Score
- 4th Grade STAAR Writing Scale Score
- Learners earning the minimum number of points or higher based on the application rubric measures will be contacted by the STEM Associate Principal to schedule the required nonverbal reasoning and science achievement assessments.
- The STEM Associate Principal will complete the Student Profile based on the 5th grade Pre-AP Math and Pre-AP Science 1st semester grades, 4th grade STAAR data, nonverbal reasoning, and science achievement.
STEP 3: Selection Process
- Up to 100 learners will be selected based on their Learner Profile.
- Learners from each intermediate school will be represented at the STEM Academy.
STEP 4: Notification Process
- All learners will be notified no later than March 8, 2019 of their STEM acceptance status.
- Learners not admitted will be placed on a waiting list in an order determined by the selection process.
- Admitted learners will need to reply to their STEM Academy invitation by 3:00 p.m. on March 22, 2019.
- Learners who do not accept the invitation by the deadline will forfeit their seat at the STEM Academy and that seat will be filled from the waiting list of applicants.