STEAM @ Flat Rock
What We Do
The STEAM Program represents a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Fine Arts and Mathematics programs and curriculum that provide students with an opportunity to learn more about careers in these fields. Students who participate in the STEAM Program participate in problem and project based learning while gaining career exposure through unique guest speakers and field trips.
The Flat Rock Middle School STEAM program engages all students through collaboration, rigorous problem-solving, innovations and authentic learning experiences. It is our mission to empower students to become a community of critical thinkers who make connections across disciplines and subject areas.
- Empower students to become innovators and technologically proficient problem solvers
- Ensure that all students have access to the appropriate technology conducive to enhancing their learning experiences both in and outside the traditional classroom
- Increase students' 21st century skills and technological literacy by providing students with opportunities to use the technical tools of the STEAM industry
- Guide community understanding of the importance of STEAM education and build capacity to sustain a viable STEAM educational program to prepare students for work and life in the 21st century
- Nurture partnerships that allow schools and the business sector to join efforts to improve students’ STEAM-career opportunities
- Increase the number of students pursuing careers in STEAM-related fields and/or post-secondary STEAM related education/training
- SWBAT: Demonstrate one use of sound engineering, whether it's a cleaned/polished voice over or a newly created song from code (like Earsketch), as part of a project.
- SWBAT: Identify the connection between STE'A'M projects and the actual careers (i.e. Labeling computer components like a Computer Engineer and then taking a field trip to Panasonic and seeing actual Computer Engineers label and use computer components)
- SWBAT: Define a problem/ask a question, write a detailed procedure/develop a solution, analyze the results, and adapt the procedure/solution based on results at least 80% of the time.
- SWBAT: Clearly communicate their results (from a lab or design challenge) using the CER model at least 90% of the time
- SWBAT: Students will use computer coding and engineering design process on at least two group art projects each nine weeks
- SWBAT: Collaborate on solving a community-based real-world problem. (Service-Learning Project)
- SWBAT: Mentor students in our feeder-schools and connect with students/teachers at Sandy Creek High School for long-term projects.
2018-2019 Guest Speaker Registration form
Please complete the following Google Form if you're interested in supporting our STEAM Program.
- We're looking for guest speakers, mentors, competition judges, field trip hosts and community advocates for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- Let us know how you'd like to assist us!
We’re excited to share that Flat Rock is part of the Coca-Cola Give program. This is a new funding opportunity to help improve learning environments for students. The best part? Donations don’t come out of your own pocket. When you make Coca-Cola purchases, you simply enter the product codes here: https://us.coca-cola.com/give/schools/ and our school receives a donation.