Library Public Services
Instructor Contact Info
Various ways to contact me:
- Log into Canvas and email me. (Best)
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- R517 in Rosenberg Library on Ocean Campus (By appointment)
Addresses major access, communications, teamwork, foundations and reference competencies for library support staff. Focus includes how professional ethics and institutional goals shape policies and practices in library access, instruction, reference, programs and exhibitions, human resource allocation and public safety.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the primary documents supporting intellectual freedom.
- Identify and define primary public service functions and staff roles in libraries.
- Analyze and compare ethical ideals conflicting with service imperatives.
- Explain diversity, disability and the underserved in planning of library services.
Evans, G. Edwards, et al. Library Programs and Services: The Fundamentals. 8th ed., Libraries Unlimited, 2015.
- Two copies of this book are on reserve at the Rosenberg Library under the course LIBR 53.
- There will be copies available for purchase at the bookstore, or you can try shopping online.
Course Syllabus (In-progress)
LIBR 53 (Library Public Services) focuses on all aspects of library services as well as the resources used in these public service departments. Learn major principles that govern library public service policies, different departments and their functions, and the tools -- print and online resources -- used to serve the public. You will learn terminology, concepts, and resources through a variety of discussions, short exercises, quizzes, short papers, and exams.
9/12 Last day for refund
9/23 Last day to drop classes without a "W" notation. Note: Students are responsible for dropping classes online. Failure to do so will result in a failing grade on permanent record.
10/x MIDTERM EXAM
11/25 Last day for late drops -- also known as a withdrawal (A “W” notation will appear on student transcript.)
11/25 Last day to request a pass/no pass (P/NP) grading option
12/x FINAL EXAM
For additional information, check out the Instructional Calendar.
What are the real challenges encountered by both new and experienced online students, and how can you be successful? Tune into this short tutorial video to help debunk common myths about online learning.