A. E. Wright Honor Society/CJSF
Applications for 6th, 7th & 8th grade Honor Society/CJSF is now closed. The next application period will be available during the next school August 2019.
Honors Society and CJSF
A. E. Wright has been a proud member of the California Junior Scholarship Federation (CJSF) for over 30 years. This federation recognizes students for their exemplary academic and citizenship achievement during the school year. In order to earn recognition in this program, students must conform to the bylaws within the CJSF Constitution. Please read and review the following qualifications for membership into CJSF or 6th Grade Honor Society.
Grades earned in 6th grade will qualify students for eligibility in "Honor Society". Grades earned in 7th & 8th grade will qualify students for eligibility in "CJSF". Membership applications and requirements for Honor Society and CJSF are the same.
Look below for Information about specific admission requirements, significant dates regarding application deadlines parent, students meetings, and overnight field trips.
Requirements for 6th Grade Honor Society and 7th & 8th Grade CJSF
- It is a MANDATORY requirement for STUDENTS to apply EACH semester for membership, during the application acceptance period. Students use their end of semester grades from the previous semester for their application (June report card when applying in the Fall, January report card when applying in the spring). No parent signature is required for the application.
- 7th/8th Grade CJSF and 6th Grade Honor Society points are granted as follows:
- A = 3 points*
- B = 1 point*
- C = 0 points
- *Honors and GATE Magnet courses may earn 1 extra point per "A" or "B" not to exceed a total of 2 points extra. Accelerated Math, or Math High do not qualify for the additional point(s).
- Students must earn a total of 8 points from the following subjects in the previous semester: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science.
- 7TH & 8TH GRADE STUDENTS enrolled in a Foreign Language must earn a total of10 points for membership.
- No points are earned for P. E., remedial or repeated courses, electives (other than foreign language taken in 7th or 8th grade). Grades must be "C" or higher in each enrolled class regardless whether they count for points or not. No "D's" or "F's" in any subject. Behavior and citizenship grades must be maintained as satisfactory or better in all classes. No "N's" or "U's" in citizenship. In addition, students must maintain a minimum of 95 behavior points.
- *PARENTS: If your child does not earn enough points to qualify for Honor Society or CJSF, or if you have questions regarding this program, PLEASE DO NOT contact the Counselors or Administration. Please contact the advisor, Mrs. Herrera email@example.com
- If you have questions regarding a grade received from a specific teacher, please contact the teacher as ONLY the teacher who issues the grade has authority to make any grade changes.
How to apply for 7th & 8th Grade CJSF or 6th Grade Honor Society
- Applications for membership into 7th & 8th Grade CJSF or 6th Grade Honor Society will be available online. The application period date will be announced during the school year. Students must complete the application by the application deadline. NO parent signature is required to complete the application. Students simply input their academic and citizenship grades earned from their end of semester report card. If a student does not recall the exact grade, they should complete the application to the best of their knowledge. Each application is verified for accuracy by the Honor Society advisors.
- If a student attended a school other than A. E. Wright during the previous semester, they must provide a photocopy of their report card and submit to Mrs. Herrera.
How to Graduate from A. E. Wright with "Honors"
- Students who apply for and are accepted into CJSF based on end of semester grades (spring and fall) while in 7th and 8th grade may culminate with "Honors" status. During these four semesters, students must have earned admittance into CJSF in at least three of the four semesters. Each student who culminates from A. E. Wright with "Honors" will receive a gold CJSF pin to wear on their gown during culmination ceremonies. In addition, these students will receive recognition at culmination as well as a certificate embossed with a gold seal from CJSF with their diploma.
- In accordance with the CJSF bylaws; "on a campus that includes 6th grade, second semester 6th graders as well as first semester 7th graders have no official CJSF status. These students may not serve as officers nor may the semesters count toward Honor Member status." In order to recognize academic excellence in 6th grade, A. E. Wright has established a 6th Grade Honor Society. Membership requirements into 6th Grade Honor Society are the same as CJSF.