Language Dept.- Mesa
7th Grade Essential Standards
I will make inferences drawn from the text and my citations.
I will write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence
I will produce clear writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
I will demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
8th Grade Essential Standards
- R1: I can cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says.
- W1: I can write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- L1: I can demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- SL5: I can integrate multimedia and visual displays into presentations to clarify information, strengthen claims and evidence, and add interest.
- W4: I can produce clear writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- L5: I can demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and secondary meanings in words..
Language 7, Acc. Language 7
Hi, My Name is Mr. Machado and I teach 7th grade language arts and advanced language. I believe that with great challenge comes great opportunity; so my thoughts are that we’ll be able to “craft up” some new and spectacular learning this year. We’ll dive into some rich literature and create some writing of our own. I’m honored to be your teacher and looking forward to a great year.
Language 7, ASB
My name is Mr. Osterbauer, 7th grade language arts and ASB teacher. I look forward to working with you this year. Here is a little information about me:
- I enjoy playing video games and I own all of the systems. I have three dogs and they are great!
- I graduated from Fresno State with a degree in Theatre Arts; I also have a Master’s Degree in Education from Cal Poly.
- I’m hoping that distance learning is a brief( yet, wonderful) experience we have together. I cannot wait to meet all of you in person.
Hello, my name is Mr. Carlson and I teach 8th grade Language Arts. Our class will include reading short stories and novels, learning to identify and discuss literary elements within the literature we read, improving our grammar skills, as well as developing our ability to write well within multiple writing styles. This is my 18th year teaching at Mesa Middle School. Though we are starting this new year differently than previous school years, I am excited and looking forward to being your teacher and working together to accomplish much. During my free time, I enjoy going to the beach with my daughter, playing wiffle ball with her at parks, and playing pickleball with her on any tennis court! Whatever the circumstances, let's make this a great year together!
Language 8, Acc. Language 8, Yearbook
Mr. Slater's 8th grade English class is designed with a focus on literature, reading, and writing. The goal is to prepare his students for the rigors of 9th grade. Students will read two novels and write nearly a dozen essays. Another component will be the focus on the elements of fiction, vocabulary, editing/spelling, figurative language, suffixes/prefixes, writing and punctuating dialogue, and other mechanics associated with writing and reading. Mr. Slater has taught at Mesa for 27 years and is looking forward to working with your child to help them reach their goals and prepare them for the next step in high school.
ELD, Comp. Sci., World Languages
Hello students! I’m Miss Harris and I teach ELD, Computer Science, and World Languages and Cultures. I love drawing and coloring, watching Bob’s Burgers, and baking desserts. I’m excited to get to know you and I hope to encourage you this year! We can do it!!!
We believe that ALL students can learn in Language Arts
We will do all we can to ensure that ALL students learn at high levels in Language Arts
We will work in collaboration, not isolation with students and parents.
We will establish, maintain, and restore/repair relationships with ALL Mesa stakeholders