Band & Orchestra Director
I was born in California and was raised for most of his life in Burke, Virginia. I attended Virginia Tech, earning a degree in Music Education. Since then, I have earned additional degrees from Shenandoah University and Colorado State University. I have played with bands, symphonies and contracted out to both recording studios and a variety of live ensembles. My first teaching job was elementary (K-7) general music, choir and band, as well as High School (8-12) Choir, while also being the assistant marching band director. After two years, I decided to move closer to my family in Northern Virginia, and took a job at Sterling Middle School teaching band and general music. After several years there, I was given the opportunity to open Heritage High School as the Band Director, and have been here since opening day.
Students are expected to improve their overall skill on their instrument, as well as to improve specific skills on their instrument, all done through the selected music for each course. A more specific outline of expectations is available in the Google Classroom for your class, as well as on the Charms website.
The majority of homework is practicing. However, we do have a quarterly written assignment and playing tests are assigned through our Google Classrooms and MusicFirst Webpages. The codes are provided in class and by e-mail direct to students and parents at the beginning of the year.
- If I’m absent I should check with my stand partner and Mr. Herrmann. While all assignments will be posted on the Google Classroom page, what was covered in class may not be there.
- This teacher uses:
- Google Classroom (code from Mr. Herrmann)
- www.charmsoffice.com (school code is HeritageMusic; student area password is your LCPS id#)
- Where can I go if I need help in this class?
- See Mr. Herrmann first. He will setup a time to help you, or put you in contact with someone that can assist you.
- Tri-M tutors
- Stand partner or someone else in class.
- Technology Used in the class
- There is very limited technology use during class.
- Phones and other devices are not permitted in class except when requested by the teacher or if a pass is needed.
- The students should have their instrument and music each day.
- Parents can join classes by going here at some point, but not yet.