Mrs. COLLEEN Dobbs
English Teacher & SCA Co-Sponsor
About MRS. DOBBS
Mrs. Dobbs is in her 19th year of teaching high school English, and she has been at Heritage High School since it opened in 2002. She currently teaches 9th grade Honors English & 11th grade Academic English, though she has previously taught 10th and 12th grade English as well. Mrs. Dobbs is a graduate of the College of William & Mary, where she received a Bachelor of Arts in English and Secondary Education. In May 2006, Mrs. Dobbs earned her Masters of Education with an emphasis on the Integration of Technology in Schools from George Mason University. This past spring, Mrs. Dobbs completed a series of graduate courses at George Washington University to earn a TESOL Certificate to Improve Instruction for English Learners. In addition to teaching, Mrs. Dobbs is the co-sponsor of the HHS Student Council Association (SCA). She has also previously coached several sports at Heritage (including Girls Soccer, Cross Country, Volleyball, Cheer, Girls Tennis, & Boys Lacrosse), though she has now taken a break from coaching. As a graduate of Loudoun County Public Schools (Broad Run High School), Mrs. Dobbs is pleased to be back in the area teaching!
Mrs. Dobbs loves sports! Her dad is a graduate of the Naval Academy, so Mrs. Dobbs roots for any Navy team (particularly Navy Cross Country and Navy Men's Lacrosse). Additionally, she enjoys watching volleyball, baseball, and rugby (Go New Zealand All Blacks!). While in college, Mrs. Dobbs was on the William & Mary Crew Team (Rowing), so she loves the water and attends regattas as often as she can. Aside from sports, Mrs. Dobbs also enjoys hiking and traveling. Favorite countries visited include Poland, Ireland, New Zealand, Peru, Turkey, and Thailand. And, of course, as an English teacher, Mrs. Dobbs loves reading. Be sure to tell her about any good books you read!
- If I’m absent, I should check the Homework Calendar on our course website (linked above) AND ALSO email Mrs. Dobbs to receive details related to the required classwork. Please note: Students are requested to email Mrs. Dobbs regarding absences as early as possibly (preferably on the day of absence) to facilitate the completion of missed work.
- Resources for the class are included on the course website (linked above).
- Online Programs: Mrs. Dobbs uses Google Sites (linked above) for communication of homework assignments and basic class information. Google Classroom, Vision, TurnItIn.com, and No Red Ink (as well as Membean for English 11 only) will also be used by students for completion of assignments/assessments - contact Mrs. Dobbs if more information is needed regarding any of these programs. All LCPS programs/apps should be accessed via LCPS Go.
- If I need help, I should email Mrs. Dobbs or talk with her before/during/after class to set up a meeting time. The RWC (Reading Writing Center) is also available before/after school and during all study hall blocks; this center is staffed by a Heritage English Teacher at all times and is a great place to receive extra help.
- Students will need their school-issued laptop daily in class. Extra devices are not provided by HHS. Students should bring their CHARGED laptop and charging cable to class each day. Cell phones are not needed for the completion of most assignments in our class (assuming students bring their school-issued laptops as instructed), though cell phones will be utilized for hall passes (using the new "e-hall pass" system for the 2019-20 school year).
- Parents can access the syllabus, homework calendar, and additional resources by navigating to the course website (linked above). Information will be added to these course websites throughout the course of the year.
- Please email Mrs. Dobbs anytime if there is a question or concern!