A New Light for Berkeley Lab: The Next 25 Years at the Advanced Light Source
Friday, September 28 | 2–3 p.m. | Building 50 Auditorium
Reception to follow in the Lab cafeteria from 3–4:30 p.m.
All Berkeley Lab staff and affiliates are invited to attend an event celebrating the Advance Light Source’s history and future. “A New Light for Berkeley Lab: The Next 25 Years at the Advanced Light Source,” will highlight the 25-year history of the ALS and pay homage to the Lab’s longstanding dedication to multidisciplinary team science, as well as to particle accelerator and X-ray science innovations. It will also feature updates on progress toward a planned upgrade of the ALS.
The event will also be viewable at the Lab’s video stream portal: https://streaming.lbl.gov/.
This draft agenda will be updated as details are confirmed.
2:00 pm Opening remarks Mike Witherell, Lab Director; Jeff Neaton, Energy Sciences ALD
2:10 pm History of the ALS's conception and construction David Attwood, 1st Scientific Director of the ALS | Professor Emeritus, UC Berkeley
2:20 pm Overview of the ALS Upgrade project Dave Robin, ALS-U Project Director; Daniela Leitner, Engineering Division Deputy
2:35 pm Science at the upgraded ALS Lightning Talks from across the Lab and ALS users
- Steve Kevan, ALS Division Director
- Corie Ralston, Staff Scientist, Molecular Biophysics & Integrated Bioimaging Division
- Musa Ahmed, Senior Staff Scientist, Chemical Sciences Division
- Eli Rotenberg, Senior Staff Scientist, Advanced Light Source
- David Prendergast, Senior Staff Scientist, Molecular Foundry
- Pupa Gilbert, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ben Gilbert, Senior Staff Scientist, Energy Geosciences Division
- David Shapiro, Staff Scientist, Advanced Light Source
2:50 pm Audience Q&A
3:00 pm Reception in the Lab cafeteria