Books are available to check out from our very own classroom library. Click the link below to browse! If you find something you like, follow the directions listed to check out a book.
How to Use the Classroom Library
Step One: Become a Library Patron
Fill out the Library Patron Request form. (If you've already filled this out once, skip to Step Two.)
Once submitted, I will add you to TinyCat--the library catalog web host--as a library patron, meaning that you'll be able to browse the classroom library catalog, check-out books, and place books on hold. I will be checking requests every school day at 4:00 p.m.
Step Two: Check Out a Book
- Click on the link to the classroom library.
- Search for a book you'd like to read. Once you've found one, click on the title!
- Click the "Check Out" button.
- Log in with your student ID number.
- Confirm your choice by clicking "Check Out" again.
- Grab the title from the library shelf (if you haven't done so already).
- Is it already checked out? Click the "Hold" button to reserve it once it's returned.
- Is it missing from the shelves? Let Ms. Pledger know in person or through Loop Mail.
- Important: Sign out of TinyCat so no one checks out a book under your name by mistake!
- Read your awesome new book!
Step Three: Return Book to the Library
- You may check out a book for 14 days.
- You may renew one time for another 14 days (unless someone has placed a hold on your book).
- To return a book, you must place it in the "Book Return" box at the front of the classroom. I will check in any books each school day afternoon.
- Important: Do NOT return books to the bookshelves! If you do this, it's impossible for me to know whether or not you've returned the book and may result in a missing book charge.
Library Use Rules
- Care for the books like they are rare artifacts. It's true that any lost or destroyed books must be repurchased by Ms. Pledger, but most importantly they cannot be enjoyed by other students!
- When browsing, return books to the correct bin and/or shelf. There will be times when you just want to thumb through a book, read the back cover, flip through the pages, etc. and that's great! But, please make sure that you return the book to its proper place so that other students can find and check it out later.
- Always, always, always check out borrowed books through the library catalog! You are free to borrow any of our classroom library titles, but I need to keep track of them so that all 160 students have an opportunity to enjoy our collection.
Donate to the Classroom Library
Are you interested in donating to the classroom library?
We are always looking to expand our classroom library with great reads that engage teens and therefore happily accept new and gently used books! If you would like to contribute, feel free to swing by Room 202 or the front office to drop off your donation. If you decide to donate through the front office, be sure to let the secretaries know that your donation is to be delivered to Ms. Pledger. Donated books will receive a tasteful sticker on the inside cover that reads: "A generous book donation from __________", so be sure to leave a short note indicating your name so that we can honor you!
Thank you in advance for your generous gift! If you have any questions about donations, feel free to email me at email@example.com.