1:1 Chromebook Initiative
Hutchinson Elementary School
2019/20: District Supported 1:1 Plan
Vision: Create an equitable and sustainable model for technology-enabled classrooms that prepare students to thrive in a connected, digital world in alignment with the Jeffco Generations strategic plan
As students start back to school for the 2019-2020 school year, two grades will do so with a brand new instructional device — a touchscreen Chromebook or iPad. These devices are part of a four-year plan to create technology-enabled classrooms in fifth through twelfth grades that prepare students to thrive in a digitally connected world in alignment with the Jeffco Generations Strategic Plan.
Hutch 1:1 Initiative History: started 1:1 in 2018
Hutchinson is committed to preparing students to be college and career ready; communication, creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking skills are essential to thrive in the 21st century. This is why we launched a 2:1 Chromebook initiative for each student to share "their own" touchscreen device with a classmate in the other grade level class, which started in the 2018-2019 school year.
All students in 5th grade will be given a Chromebook from the school to use for educational purposes. Families will pay an annual $50 fee which covers the cost of the device (but not repairs - you need to purchase an additional, low-cost warranty for this), staff support, tech support, digital learning tools, teacher professional learning, internet filtering, bandwidth, and community resources. If a student leaves Jeffco, they are to return the device to the school. If transferring to another Jeffco school, they simply take their Chromebook with them to their new Jeffco school.
Having ongoing access to technology will allow our students to consistently practice and apply those 21st century skills, and prepare them for a variety of secondary and post-secondary options.
Benefits of 1:1 education instruction
- Gives students real world technology experience and application needed for future careers and/or college.
- Encourages increased creativity, communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills through assignments that are not possible without technology.
- Allows teachers to differentiate lessons to meet students at various stages of learning.
- Enables teachers to collect instant data on student learning and immediately adjust instruction accordingly.
- Customizes learning through the use of a variety of technological tools.
Benefits Of A District Managed Device
One of the biggest concerns for parents and teachers is ensuring the safety of students online and making sure students are actively engaged in class. All District managed Chromebooks have software that allows teachers to monitor all student screens, turn all screens off in order to minimize distractions, and project student work to the front of the room. See video for a demonstration.
- Annual fee of $50 to be paid in Jeffco Connect
- Device will be managed by Jeffco for added security
- Wifi automatically connects to the fastest network
- Educational apps can be pushed out to all student devices
- Students can take state-mandated tests on their device
- Students will keep the device over school breaks and summers, making learning a year-round activity
- Equity and consistency for all teachers and students
- Schools receive digital learning tools, teacher professional development to instruct with those tools, internet filtering, bandwidth, and additional support
- If going to another Jeffco school, students can take their device with them.