Cell Phone Policy
I.S. 230 CELL PHONE AND ELECTRONIC DEVICE POLICY
- Students are permitted to have in their possession: cell phones, laptops, iPads and other similar electronic devices. The decision to possess such devices is best left to each family to determine. Please be aware that school staff will not be able to investigate the loss, theft or damage of these devices, therefore parents/guardians are requested to utilize good judgment making this decision.
- All devices must be turned off at all times in school except:
- Cell phones may only be turned on or used during instruction for educational purposes with the approval of the teacher of the specific lesson.
- Authorization to use a cell phone or other device will be granted by the individual teacher for educational purposes (Dictionary, reading, online research, etc.). Policies will vary from one classroom to another; individual teachers will review their policy with your child.
- Any students found to be using a cell phone/electronic device at any other time may have the device confiscated.
- Students may not make or receive phone calls and/or texts, or access any form of Social Media while at school (i.e. Facebook, Instagram etc.).
- Cell phones/electronic devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination. The use of cell phones/computing devices and other electronic devices during the administration of NYS examinations are governed by the New York State Education Department Rules.
- Cell phones/electronic devices may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Cell phones/electronic devices may not be used in hallways, locker rooms, or bathrooms.
- Confiscation and return of devices
- If a cell phone/electronic device is confiscated, the device will be returned to the student at the end of school day unless school administration determines a parent conference is necessary. If a conference is necessary, a parent/guardian will be required to pick up the device. Devices may be picked up in the main office.
- Students who use cell phones/electronic devices in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“IAUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.