Semantic Web solutions for large-scale biomedical data analytics (SeWeBMeDA-2017)
Full Day Workshop at ESWC2017, Portoroz, Slovenia
The life sciences domain has been an early adopter of linked data and, a considerable portion of the Linked Open Data cloud is composed of life sciences data sets. The deluge of inflowing biomedical data, partially driven by high-throughput gene sequencing technologies, is a key contributor and motor to these developments. The available data sets require integration according to international standards, large-scale distributed infrastructures, specific techniques for data access, and offer data analytics benefits for decision support. Especially in combination with Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies, these promises to enable the processing of large as well as semantically heterogeneous data sources and the capturing of new knowledge from those.
This workshop invites papers for life sciences and biomedical data processing, as well as the amalgamation with Linked Data and Semantic Web technologies for better data analytics, knowledge discovery and user-targeted applications. This research contribution should provide useful information for the Knowledge Acquisition research community as well as the working Data Scientist.
This workshop at the Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC) seeks original contributions describing theoretical and practical methods and techniques that present the anatomy of large scale linked data infrastructure, which covers: the distributed infrastructure to consume, store and query large volumes of heterogeneous linked data; using indexes and graph aggregation to better understand large linked data graphs, query federation to mix internal and external data-sources, and linked data visualisation tools for health care and life sciences. It will further cover topics around data integration, data profiling, data curation, querying, knowledge discovery, ontology mapping / matching / reconciliation and data / ontology visualisation, applications / tools / technologies / techniques for life sciences and biomedical domain. SeWeBMeDA aims to provide researchers in biomedical and life science, an insight and awareness about large scale data technologies for linked data, which are becoming increasingly important for knowledge discovery in the life sciences domain.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies in the following areas:
- Techniques for analysing semantic data in the life sciences, medicine and health care
- The description, integration, analysis and use of data in pursuit of challenges in the life sciences, medicine and health
- Tools and applications for biomedical and life sciences
- Large scale biomedical data curation and integration
- Processing biomedical data at scale
- Knowledge representation and knowledge discovery for biomedical data
- Data publishing, profiling and new datasets in biomedical and life sciences
- Querying and federating data over heterogeneous data sources
- Biomedical ontology creation, mapping/ matching/ translation and reconciliation
- Biomedical Ontology and data visualisation
- Text analysis, text mining and reasoning using semantic technologies
- New technologies and exploitation of existing ones in Linked Data and Semantic Web
- Social and moral issues publishing and consuming biomedical and life sciences data.
Proceedings of SeWeBMeDA-2017 are planned to published at CEUR Workshop Proceedings
Top selected manuscripts will be invited for submitting paper for the special call at "Journal of Biomedical Semantics"