BUILDINGS, CITIES, AND PERFORMANCE
4th International Symposium of the PhD Program at IIT College of Architecture in collaboration with the Architectural Research Centers Consortium (ARCC)
November 15-17, 2019
S. R. Crown Hall, IIT Campus, Chicago, IL
Symposium Theme: Simulation-based and data-driven methodologies in environmental research
The aim of this symposium is to bring together faculty and Ph.D. students, candidates, and recent graduates whose research interests lie with building and urban performance with respect to the sustainable built environments. The symposium is shaped around a central theme about methodologies, methods and techniques that are applied to investigate the performance of buildings and cities. The primary objective of the workshop is to create a platform for PhD students and faculty to share their ideas and experiences of using simulation-based and data-driven methodologies for solving current built environment issues and report on complexities and challenges involved. This year’s symposium will also include a panel discussion of PhD program directors and educators that aims to address current issues and challenges facing doctoral educations in architecture.
Topics of interest in this symposium include, but are not limited to, the following aspects of research on performance of buildings and cities:
- Research design and methodology development
- Data-driven and optimization techniques including machine learning and big-data approaches
- Performance simulation tools and techniques
- Performance with regard to thermal loads and comfort, energy, visual, air quality, airflow, embodied energy, and environmental impacts
- Design solutions (building envelopes, advanced materials and components, and smart technologies)
- Lessons from the past and historical insights on performance-based evolution of the built environment.
- Performances of buildings and cities beyond the environment
Please contact email@example.com if you had questions regarding this symposium.
The IIT International PhD Symposium is an annual symposium held by the IIT College of Architecture that initiated in 2016 and operates on an annual-based cycle. This year’s event is organized jointly with the Architectural Research Centers Consortium (ARCC). ARCC is an international organization committed to the expansion of the research culture and a supporting infrastructure in architecture and related design disciplines.
Header image credit: PhD student Lijian Ma