We offer the following tools and resources on traumatic loss, suicide, and crisis intervention. Some of these resources are specific to Hunterdon County, New Jersey, USA.
Crisis Intervention and Help
THERE IS HELP if you are in a crisis, or you are taking care of a child who needs immediate assistance.
- 2nd Floor of New Jersey: youth have access to confidential help through phone or text (1–888–222–2228).
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: access their hotline at 1–800–273–8255.
- New Jersey Hopeline: the New Jersey Division of Children and Families also offers a hotline at 1–855–654–6735.
- Hunterdon County Mobile Response: 24/7/365 in-home stabilization services are available for youth, ages 4–18 in Hunterdon, Somerset, and Warren Counties. Their hotline number is 1–877-652–7624.
- Hunterdon County Family Crisis Intervention Unit: receive immediate counseling to help stabilize a family crisis through their 24/7/365 helpline at 1-908-788-6400.
Talking to Youth about Difficult Topics
- Tips for talking about traumatic loss with children of all ages, from SAMHSA
- "Helping Children Cope after a Traumatic Event" from Child Mind Institute
- Advice for helping a child who has lost a friend to suicide, from the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- "Speaking to Your Teen about Suicide" from Psychology Today
DEFINITIONS AND STATISTICS from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Consistent definitions are important.
- Suicide is one of the leading causes of death among adolescents in recent years.
RISK FACTORS AND WARNING SIGNS from various sources: