What is it?
Create a one-stop destination for your classroom information! Google Sites makes building websites as easy as editing a document. Videos, calendars, presentations, attachments, and text—then quickly and securely share it with your students and parents.
How does it work?
First and foremost, Google Sites works in conjunction with, and in great part depends on, Google Drive for the content.
In addition, it's easy to make an accessible webpage with Google Sites so that all your students and parents can benefit from your content. For training and resources, visit the HCS & Accessibility Website.
Top Three Tips for working with Google Sites
- Determine audience for your site. Will this site be for your students, staff members, or parents?
- Create a Drive folder for your content and change share settings to match that of your audience. If the audience is general staff or students, you can make your share settings Anyone at HCS with the link. If your audience is parents, you will make your share settings Public.
- Upload or move content to the Sites folder. This way you don't need to change the share settings of each file you want to add to your site. Instead a prompt will notify you that placing the file in that folder will cause it to have the same share settings as the folder.
Use the following step-by-step tutorial from Google to build your new Site.
How do I earn PD points?
Once you have created your New Google Site, you can submit the link to your Site and reflect on your experience on this Google Form.
1. Create a classroom site to include at least 5 pages.
2. Add text, video, images on each page and either a document, form, or google slides presentation on at least 2 pages. (Ideas include a bathroom sign out form, parent communication log form, classroom videos, lesson plans, homework assignments, YouTube video, etc)
3. Set your Share settings to "Anyone at Hampton City Schools can find and view."
How do I find my New Sites share link? See the clip below. DO NOT share the url above the site while in edit or preview as this will give your viewers (students, parents, or other staff) editing privileges.
(This course is worth 10 points.)
After you publish your site, click the down arrow to the right of Publish. Select View Published Site. Copy and share this URL.