Chromebooks for all students
The device selected for the GUHSD FutureForward Program is a Chromebook. A Chromebook is a laptop that only runs the Internet through the Chrome browser. It has a long battery life and comes with a sturdy case. Additionally, this device integrates seamlessly with GUHSD’s primary productivity toolset, Google Apps for Education, and numerous other web-based tools. Although the Chromebook is meant to be used in an online platform, it does have offline capabilities and internal storage.
Just like a textbook, these devices will become essential parts of the classroom experience at Valhalla High School. Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebook to and from school and ensuring that it is fully charged each day.
Responsible Use Policy
The RUP packet includes the RUP agreement form, the Cox to Connect information about low cost Internet service for low income families, and the Chromebook Protection Plan (Insurance) paperwork.
Please note: All students/parents/guardians must sign the RUP agreement form in order to check out a Chromebook, even a loaner.
RUP Agreement Form
Cox to Connect Information
Chromebook Protection Plan Overview
Chromebook Protection Plan Form
What are the fines for Chromebook loss or damage?
The fines related to Chromebooks reflect the cost to replace or repair. The fines are subject to increase or decrease based on the actual costs.
What if someone else damaged my Chromebook?
Ultimately, you are responsible for your Chromebook. Any damage/loss to your Chromebook will be charged to your account. If you have purchased Chromebook insurance, damage is covered under your Protection Plan and includes damage to your Chromebook.
Can I buy insurance to cover possible loss or damage?
How can I protect my Chromebook from physical damage?
There are many common sense steps you can take to keep your Chromebook from being damaged.
- Keep your Chromebook in its case (many students were fined for damage that could have been easily avoided if they kept their Chromebook in its case)
- Don't eat or drink over your keyboard (over time, crumbs and drops of liquid can cause a lot of damage)
- Keep liquids away from your Chromebook
- Don't leave your Chromebook unattended
- Open and close your Chromebook gently
- Close your Chromebook before moving it and before carrying it around
- Be sure not to close your Chromebook while something is on your keyboard (ear buds + closing the screen = cracked screen fine)
- Don't drop your Chromebook
- Be very careful with your charger. The plug and port are delicate. Unplug by pulling from the box rather than the cord.
Senior 2019 Buying Chromebook Information
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! We have been privileged to witness what you are able to create while you have been a student with us, and now as you plan to move on, we look forward to seeing what you create next. To support your new endeavors, we are offering you the opportunity to purchase your Chromebook for $20 to continue your formal and informal education. You must meet the following requirements:
CHROMEBOOK RETURNS AND SALES WILL TAKE PLACE MAY 20-23 IN THE LIBRARY. STUDENTS WILL VISIT THE LIBRARY VIA ELECTIVE COURSES OR FREE PERIODS. ALL CHROMEBOOKS MUST BE RETURNED OR PURCHASED BY MAY 24TH. AFTER MAY 24TH, ANY OUTSTANDING CHROMEBOOKS WILL BE LOCKED AND NO LONGER USABLE.
Graduating Seniors Only: This offer is only available for graduating seniors.
All School Fines Cleared: All school fines in Destiny must be clear. To check your fine record:
Click on Google Sign in button
Choose Valhalla High School
Click on My Info tab
Assigned Chromebooks Only: You may only purchase the Chromebook and charger that have been checked out to you during your time in school. You may confirm that the physical “GUHSD Textbook” barcode labels match the “Copy” numbers listed under “Resources” in Destiny.
Cash Only: We will only accept cash for this purchase. A receipt will be provided.
Students must submit a Chromebook Purchase Agreement at the time of the return or the sale.
What You Get:
- Chromebook & charger
Keep in mind:
- The Chromebook is sold as is. No repairs will be made after June 1.
- Students are responsible for all Chromebook-related fines incurred previous to purchase.
- Continuing seniors are not eligible to purchase their Chromebook until they are leaving GUHSD. They must turn the Chromebook in at the end of year and check out a new one the next year. When they graduate, they may purchase the Chromebook checked out to them.
- Chargers are NOT replaced if they are damaged or missing.
- GUHSD Google accounts for all seniors will be suspended on July 31. Please move your data using the Google Takeout feature (https://takeout.google.com/transfer).
Removal from School Network: Your Chromebook will be automatically removed from the school network remotely by June 30.
- Once your Chromebook login screen changes, log in with a private @gmail.com email address.
- If you do not receive a generic login screen after June 30, call 619-956-HELP.
- Chromebook Issues? Basic Troubleshooting Hints
- Want to save everything on your Google Drive account? Transfer your Google Docs, Mail, etc. to a Gmail account. Learn how here. Your GUHSD account will be suspended on July 31.
Come to the library and see Mrs. Macceca or Mrs. Martin.