Graham County Schools' administrative staff realize there is a lot of concern right now about the Coronavirus and that you will more than likely have some questions about our efforts to manage it. We want you to be assured that the safety of our staff and students is always our top priority. Please check back often for updates.
March 16 Update:
1. Tuesday, Mar. 17- BREAKFAST will be served in both cafeterias from 8-9 am. Pick up only. LUNCH will be served in both cafeterias from 11:15 am-12:30 pm. Pick up only. ANY CHILD AGES 0-18 IS ELIGIBLE TO A FREE BREAKFAST & LUNCH. Also, a limited number of snack bags will be available at both sites.
2. We are working on a plan to expand meal deliveries to several places in the community also. We will share that information hopefully tomorrow.
3. Teachers are preparing academic information for students and will be sharing that information from each school as it becomes available.
4. GCS is working with local churches to provide childcare for those young, school-age children who have parents working in healthcare, first responders and essential services. If you need childcare and fall into one of those categories, please call your child's school office and ask for your name to be put on a waiting list. More details for this service will be shared as it becomes available and it will likely begin on March 23.
5. REMINDER: Per Governor's Executive Order, no children are to be on school campuses (other than quickly picking up meals) until school resumes. This includes all buildings, playgrounds and athletic fields.
SUNDAY, MARCH 15 UPDATE:
Per our conference call with state officials & leadership team meeting this afternoon, the following guidance is offered:
GCS will be closed for at least 2 weeks. Preschool will follow the same closure as K-12 at this time.Tomorrow will be a mandatory workday for staff to make specific plans. GCS will use the next few days to make plans for distributing assignments to students. We are immediately developing a plan to distribute food to students-starting early this week. If students have personal items on the school campus, please check in through the school offices to pick up those items up tomorrow. We strongly encourage you to help control the spread of germs. Don't congregate together. This is not a time for social gatherings or hanging out with groups. We want to help stop this virus so that we can get back on a normal schedule as soon as possible. I know you have a million questions. Please know that the school system is doing everything that we can to assist the community in this highly stressful time. Know that we will update our information on our websites, social media and this calling system as soon as new information becomes available.
PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER DETAILS.