UCLA Center for Accessible Education
Hello Students and welcome to Spring Quarter 2019! Please see below for important updates from UCLA's Center for Accessible Education.
Letters of Accommodation and Booking Your Exams
Have you requested your accommodations so that your letter of accommodation can be viewed by your professors in the Faculty Portal?Do you need assistance with how to do this? Check out CAE's new YouTube channel that includes instructional videos on how to request your letter of accommodation and booking exams. Instructions for requesting your letter of accommodation are also on the CAE website under Student Resources.
Spring Quarter Coffee Mixer
Stop by our Spring Quarter Mixer on Friday, April 5th and mingle with other students!
Murphy Hall, First Floor Patio, 3pm to 5 pm
Refreshments will be served!
Final Student Workshop of the Year!
Workshop title: Tech Time: Using technology to enhance learning
Day: Friday, May 17
Location: Murphy Hall 2325
Students requesting exam accommodations are to make the request at least 14 days prior to the date of the exam. Students that make a request for exam accommodations in less than 14 days do not provide the University with a timely notice by which to coordinate the service. As a result, any exam accommodation requests less than 14 days of notification to the CAE will be reviewed on case-by-case basis. However, the University may be unable to provide exam accommodations to any student request that is less than 14 days.
The CAE will make a good faith effort to accommodate students who do not request proctoring in a timely fashion on a case-by-case basis. If the Proctoring Center cannot add a student to the schedule, the student will be referred to their CAE counselor to determine alternative arrangements, if any.
For students that have extenuating circumstances and need to reschedule an exam, the student should contact their counselor in order to assess the reasonableness of the request.
Alternative Format Requests
Students with visual or learning disabilities who are unable to read standard printed material may have classroom materials converted into alternative formats. This includes Braille, e-text, and large print. We can also help connect students with existing resources that offer books in alternative formats.
- Please call (310) 794-5725 to schedule an appointment with Assistive Technology Specialist Shirley Ruiz.
- Prior to the appointment, the student will be asked to complete an Alternative Format Request form. The Alt Format Request form must be completed each quarter that you require the service.
- In order to expedite the process, students should bring the following to their appointment:
- Completed Alt Format Request form
- Textbook receipts
- A course syllabus or reading list
Please note the following important information:
- CAE provides alternative format services for required readings only.
- Graduate students engaged in research for a dissertation must submit the Alt Format Request Form and a copy of an abstract or a letter from the department describing the subject and the projected reading load for each quarter.
How long will it take to have my materials converted?
- Please allow at least three weeks to complete alt format requests.
- Brailling services can take up to 8 weeks.
What if I prefer my documents in Word format?
- The CAE typically receives materials from publishers in .pdf format. Therefore, any requests for a different format, such as Word, will delay the conversion of your materials. The delay will vary based on the volume and content of the request. The format that is received by the CAE will be made accessible and provided to the student in the most reasonable timeframe.
Please submit your materials to be converted at least three weeks prior to the start of the quarter or as early as possible. If you have not yet been provided with the course book list, we recommend that you contact your instructor and ask for this information so that the CAE may convert your materials in a timely fashion.
Adjusted Attendance and Adjusted Deadlines
The Center for Accessible has made updates to its guidelines for adjusted attendance and adjusted deadlines. Please visit the CAE Accommodations webpage for more details about our updates to these guidelines.
Counselor Drop in Hours
Do you have a quick question for a counselor, need to make an urgent request, or want to check-in, and were not able to schedule an appointment soon enough? Stop by for a 15-minute drop-in with a counselor! Please note that these are only 15-minute meetings and may be with someone other than your assigned counselor, so scheduling an appointment is always encouraged! You can call 310-825-1501 or come into the office to schedule an appointment.
Drop-in times are:
Monday from 10-11 am with Kya Lisum;
Tuesday from 3:30-4:30 pm with LuMarie Tomasello;
Wednesday from 3-4 pm with Marc Lazar, and
Thursday from 11-12 pm with Laura Czajkowski