Middle Years Programme
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) is for students aged 11-16.
What is the MYP?
The MYP is a challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world.
The MYP is a five-year programme, which can be implemented in a partnership between schools, or in several abbreviated (two, three or four year) formats. Students who complete the MYP are well-prepared to undertake the IB Diploma Programme (DP) or Career-related Programme (CP).
Why offer the MYP?
Students learn how to learn
Students are able to take responsibility for their own learning and understand how knowledge itself is constructed; this is further to our unique theory of knowledge (TOK) course. They are encouraged to try different approaches to learning and to take responsibility for their own educational progress.
Our programmes help IB students:
- ask challenging questions
- think critically
- develop research skills proven to help them in higher education.
IB programmes also encourage students to be active in their communities and to take their learning beyond academic study.
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills [PDF, 647KB]
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel [PDF, 3.2MB]
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.