Pepperell Area

School Social Worker

Homeless Liaison/Foster Care Liaison

McHenry Primary, Pepperell Primary, Pepperell Elementary, Pepperell Middle, Pepperell High

Hello My Name Is...

Jackie Trammell

What is a School Social Worker?

A school social worker is an advocate who helps students reach their potential in the school setting. In order to fulfill this goal, a school social worker provides support services to help remove barriers to a child’s success in school. These barriers may be school or home-based. As a result, the school social worker becomes a link between home, school and the community.

How Can I Help?

Here are some of the ways the school social worker can help children in Floyd County Schools achieve personal and academic success.

A school social worker:

  • serves with school staff on the Student Support Team. This is a problem-solving committee where student needs are discussed.
  • completes a social history with a child’s parent or guardian as part of a special education evaluation.
  • connects families with community resources, for example: food banks, social services, mental health referrals, or medical care.
  • works closely with teachers and other school staff on a variety of issues affecting children every day.
    • academic and behavioral concerns
    • attendance issues
    • abuse/neglect concerns
    • financial needs
    • health/medical concerns
    • family/parenting issues
    • homelessness

McKinney Vento - What defines a homeless student?


Homeless students are defined as lacking a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, including children who are:

  1. Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship;
  2. Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
  3. Living in emergency or transitional shelters;
  4. Are abandoned in hospitals;
  5. Awaiting foster care placement;
  6. Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
  7. Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations or similar settings;
  8. Migratory children living in conditions described in the previous examples; and
  9. Unaccompanied youth who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.

**School social workers are available to assist every student achieve academic success. By working closely with school staff and administration, families and community agencies; school social workers help make a successful educational experience for each student.


Useful Links and Numbers:

To report child abuse or neglect call:

​1-855-GA CHILD (1-855-422-4453)

Partners in the Community:

Mental Health Resources:

(Please contact the Social Worker for a referral or more information)

More Helpful Links:

Jackie Trammell serves all Pepperell Area Schools and can be reached at: (706)290-8527 or