Welcome to the Freshman Academy
At Frederick Douglass High School
As a 9th grade student, you begin your educational experience in the Freshman Academy, which promotes an exciting and positive transition from middle school to high school.
- Small learning community: small teams of students and teachers offer a personalized learning experience
- Core Classes: English, Math, Science, plus electives and Freshman Seminar
- Exposure to career options
- Career Expo: an interactive career exploration event
- Field trip to college campus
- Guest speakers
- Workshops that introduce extra-curricular, co-curricular, sports, and other school-sponsored activities
Freshman Seminar Course
All freshman take the Freshman Seminar course. Along with career exploration and development, this one-year course teaches essential success skills such as how to take initiative and responsibility, effective teamwork and communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving. This course will help you make an informed decision as to which academy you will enroll in your sophomore through senior years, and what personal, collegiate, and professional journey you would like to embark on after high school. Freshman Academy helps you explore your world and find your future.