Open Enrollment for 2022-2023

January 24-February 4, 2022

The East Whittier City School District has adopted a policy of open enrollment for students living within the District boundaries that would like to request a different school than their residence school for the following school year. This requires an application process to be completed during the open enrollment window between January 24-February 4, 2022. These opportunities may be limited based on the enrollment capacity of each of the district schools and its individual programs. Several of our schools are projected to be at or above enrollment capacity.

Students who have siblings who currently attend, and will continue to attend, the requested school during the 2022-2023 school year, along with children of district employees, will be given priority consideration.

Applications are only accepted on-line using the link below which will be available from January 24, 2022 at 8 a.m. to February 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm.

2022-2023 Intradistrict Permit Application

Parents who submitted an online application during the open enrollment window will be notified about permit approval/denial via email on or before April 1st with instructions on how to proceed. No updates will be provided over the phone.

The open enrollment window for this current 2021-2022 school year has ended. If you are a District Resident interested in being considered for a "2021-2022 Intradistrict Permit" to attend a school different than your school of residence if space becomes available you may complete the online permit application using the link below.

If you are in need of computer access to complete your intradistrict permit application please email

2021-2022 Intradistrict Permit Application

Information for 5th Grade Students Currently on Permit:

Current 5th-grade students on an intra-district permit must complete a NEW permit application to apply to a different middle school than their middle school of residence during the open enrollment window.

For district residents that would like to be released to attend a school in another district, you will need to download the form located below, complete it and sign it. You will then email the completed and signed form to for processing. Once approved the form will be sent to the email address indicated on the form. Please allow 5-7 days to process. Requests to be released for the 22-23 school year will begin on January 24, 2022. The form below is only to be released to attend another District. If you want your child to go to a school within the district you need to complete the application found on the link in the section above.

Click here to download the Interdistrict Permit

Out-of-district residents that would like to attend a school within EWCSD must first get a permit release from their district of residence (contact your District's permit office for instructions). Once you obtain the signed release you can submit that paperwork by email to EWCSD will begin accepting these interdistrict permits for the 2022-2023 school year beginning on March 1, 2022.


Q: Who should participate in the Open Enrollment program?

A: Only those families who live in the East Whittier City School District attendance area, and wish to have their child enroll in a district school other than his/her school of residence, should participate in Open Enrollment.

Q: How do I determine my son's/daughter's school of residence?

A: Students can determine their school of residence by going to under the heading of Resources > Families and clicking on Attendance Maps.

Q: How do I participate in the open enrollment option for my child?

A: Complete the online permit application form on the District website during the open enrollment period January 24 from 8:00 am to February 4 at 3:30 pm.

Permit Office Hours:

The District office is open Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please submit permit-related documents or questions via email to

Q: Am I guaranteed the school I request during open enrollment?

A: No. Some of our schools are projected to be at or above enrollment capacity*. If requests for a school during the open enrollment period exceed the school's capacity, permits for the schools listed will be accepted based on a random lottery. You will be notified in April if your child's permit has been accepted as part of the lottery process. Otherwise, your permit will be processed as an intradistrict permit and accepted based on the date it was submitted and the priorities for acceptance as indicated in Board Policy.

Q: If I want my son/daughter to attend the same school as a sibling, and it is not the school of residence, do I submit an Open Enrollment application?

A: Yes. You need to complete an intradistrict permit application during the open enrollment window. Although siblings of students already on a permit are given priority, please note that a spot is not automatic, nor guaranteed.

Q: We reside outside of the district boundaries but want our child to attend an EWCSD school, how do I do that?

A: You will need to apply for an interdistrict permit. This requires you to get released from your child's district/school of residence. Once approved and signed by your district/school of residence you will need to submit that permit paperwork to EWCSD by email to for consideration. Interdistrict permits are processed after open enrollment ends and are subject to available space.

Q: Is transportation provided to the new school?

A: No. Transportation is the responsibility of the parents/guardians.

Q: Do open enrollment permits need to be renewed each year?

A: Only for 5th-grade students that want to attend a middle school that is not their school of residence. All other grades do not need to submit any additional paperwork.

Q: How do I register for transitional kindergarten?

A: Please visit for information about transitional kindergarten.

Q: How do I apply for dual language immersion?

A: Please visit for information about Dual Language Immersion.

Q: How do I register for Independent Study or Virtual Learning Academy?

A: Please visit for information about these programs.

Q: If I want my child to attend a different high school than their high school of residence, what do I do?

A: Open Enrollment for WUHSD takes place the last week of January and the first week of February. This process is only for students who live in the Whittier Union High School District attendance area and want to attend a school within the district other than their school of residence. For questions regarding WUHSD please visit the WUHSD website link.