Green Energy Technology Academy
Laguna Creek High School
Students of the Green Energy Technology Academy study the technology of renewable energy. These GETA students explore the concepts of energy extraction, conversion and transmission processes through complex, hands-on, project-based work. Depending on a their post secondary plans, students who graduate from the Green Energy Technology Academy will be prepared to enter two or four year institutions of study, enter a technical training program or go directly to work in the Energy Sector.
2018 SMUD Northern California Solar Regatta
This year's Regatta went very well (First Place in the Endurance and Third Place overall), and with one minor adjustment to the motor, we would have done even better.
A Great Morning with Good Day Sacramento
GETA Sophomores and Juniors Showcase their work (Solar Electric Go Karts and Wind Turbines) with Good Day Sacramento on May 8, 2018
2018 SMUD Solar Race Car Academic Competition Event
GETA Freshmen show very well at the 2018 SMUD Solar Race Car Competition hled at Cosumnes River College on April 18th: They starred in the Good Day Sacramento moring spot, out of 60+ team, they earned 3 of the top 8 spots and came away with top awards: Engineering and Design (The Thomas The Tank Car seen on the Good Day Sacramento Spot), The Sustainability Award for using recycled materials to create a car, and the Grit and Gumption Award for not giving up on the repair of their vehicle after numerous set-backs and mechanical issues.
Toyota Mirai and Horizon Education Host Four Hour Endurance Race: H2AC (Hydrogen Horizon Automotive Challenge)
On Saturday February 24th, 2018 our Senior and Freshmen GETA H2AC (Hydrogen Horizon Automotive Challenge) teams competed in a four hour endurance race at Craneway Pavilion in Richmond, CA. The 1:10 scale RC cars are hydrogen and battery powered and compete to complete as many laps as possible in four hours but are limited by battery capacity and amount of available hydrogen. Our senior team finished 2nd and the freshmen finished 3rd. Having a top 10 finish qualifies both teams for the State Finals held on March 10th at American River College. Check back soon to see how we finish at finals: (Update: We finished 11th and 17th at the state finals).
Our Partners and Sponsors:
...and many others who mentor, speak to, train, and encourage our students!
Some of GETA's Amazing Moments
GETA Racing their Solar- Electric Boat in Monte Carlo, Monaco.
As of 12/2017, we've sent 127 Solar Suit Cases to 25 Different Nations
- Articulation Agreement with Cosumnes River College for its ADT 310, 3-unit, CAD class (Capstone Course)
- Internships with Lennar Homes, Regional San, Sacramento County Waste Management and Recycling, SMUD
- PBCL's (Problem-Based Case Learning): Solar PV System Installation with Regional San; Hydro-Electric Power Plant Installation for The Happy Valley Dairy with SMUD;
- Three Time Northern California Solar Regatta Champions
- Selected to Toyota's 2017-2018 Hydrogen Horizon Hydrogen Fuel Cell RC 4-hour Endurance Race
- Solar1 World Championship Racers in Monte Carlo, Monaco - July 2014
- As of 12/2017, 127 Solar Suitcases sent to 25 Different Developing and/or Third World Nations
- Bicycle RV's Designed and Fabricated for the Homeless of Sacramento
- With MPTA (another great academy on our campus) we've built two Tiny Home's for homeless Veterans.
- GETA Freshmen competing is SMUD's 2018 Solar Racer competition
- All Seniors leave with OSHA 10 Certification
- All Seniors will have conducted MOCK Interviews with one of our partners before they graduate.
- Hosted Media Event for the role out of SB x11 with Tom Torlakson, Darryl Steinberg and Robert Weisenmiller
- 11/29/2017 - Submitted a Prop 51 Grant Proposal for a New Facility (Please Come Back in June 2018 to see if we are awarded these funds)(Update: Although unofficial, we are moving through the process of securing the funding)
- Update on the Prop 51 Grant: The scores are in and we received a 131.5/141 = 93.3%
Some of the fun we have:
Door Decorating with Our Advocacy Classes
Getting Ready for our In-House EV Go Kart Race
Senior Camp Out
Our Sophomore Wind Farm on the Campus Quad
SunPower trip on the San Francisco Bay
Getting to know one another at our monthly Pancake Breakfasts
Eating Dinner with our Advisory Committee Members