English Language Development
K-12 Standards, Curriculum, and Instruction Division
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI)
English as a Second Language (ESL)/Title III
The NCDPI ESL/Title III Google site serves as a central hub for English learner (EL) educators, administrators, institutions of higher education, and other interested parties. This site contains links to policy, program and procedural guidance to help ensure that LEAs/Charter Schools stay informed of federal law and state policy regarding the education of English learners. The site also includes standards, instructional tools, professional learning opportunities, and other resources related to the implementation of the North Carolina English Language Development Standard Course of Study (NC ELD SCoS). EL educators are encouraged to browse, reference, download, share, discuss, and adapt resources. Please request assistance or provide feedback to the contacts listed below.
NCDPI ESL/Title III Team
- Ivanna Mann Thrower Anderson | email@example.com | (919) 307-6685 | EL Program Quality - West Region
- Xatli Stox | firstname.lastname@example.org | (919) 807-3928 | EL Program Quality -East Region
- Marshall Foster | email@example.com | (919) 807-3960 | Title III Compliance - Statewide
- Susan Walz | firstname.lastname@example.org | (919) 807-3953 | EL Data/PowerSchool - Statewide
Working Together for Our English Learners in North Carolina!
A cadre of current or former NC teachers, administrators and retirees with a strong understanding of theory-based concepts for best practices in EL student education offering training and coaching opportunities across the state.
ELAC is a group of stakeholders who have a vested interest in working with English learners in North Carolina. This group is the statewide advisory board on current issues impacting English learners for ESL/Title III at the NCDPI.
A group of in-service teachers working together to improve their professional learning network as they collaborate with other teachers statewide and provide feedback to the NCDPI ESL/Title III team on the PD that we offer.
- 2019-2020 ESL/Title III Timeline - .pdf file
- Global Languages Endorsement - North Carolina's Seal of Biliteracy
- Language Instruction Educational Programs in NC
- Map of the NC State Board of Education Districts
- ESL/Title III Professional Learning Opportunities
- ALTELLA Project: English Learner Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities
- English Learners Success Forum - Math and ELA Guidelines
- Lead for Literacy Center (L4L)
- Migration Policy Institute: ELL Information Center
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) Fast Facts on ELs
- Schools' Civil Rights Obligations to English Learners and their families
- US Department of Education, OELA English Learner Tool Kit
- US Department of Education, OELA Newcomer Tool Kit
- US Department of Education, NCELA English Learner Family Tool Kit
To receive announcements, periodic newsletters, and other updates, sign up at bit.ly/NCDPIupdates. Add your email address and select these listservs:
- Dual Language/Immersion (DL/I) Educators
- NC LinguaFolio
- Teachers of English Learners
Visit the K-12 SC&I Division Website to access information from our other areas:
- English Language Arts & World Languages
- Mathematics, Science, & STEM
- Social Studies & Arts Education
- Specialized Instructional Support & NC Healthy Schools