Call for Participation
How does the built environment affect people’s behavior, health, and well-being? How can we use recent technological advances to optimize indoor and outdoor spaces for occupants? From the level of a home to the level of a city, behavioral data, wearable data, and sensor data can be collected and analyzed to understand how people are interacting with their environments. This one-day workshop will bring together researchers in human-computer interaction (HCI), behavioral and building science and other related fields to share and discuss research and strategies for optimizing the interaction between humans and their indoor and outdoor environments.
We welcome participation from those with interest and ideas on how new technologies may benefit occupants of indoor and outdoor spaces. The workshop will provide participants in any discipline with an opportunity to present work and ideas that could be applied in indoor environments like homes and offices and outdoor environments like parks and neighborhoods. Through presentations and group discussions, participants will explore the following, but not limited to, areas:
- How living labs enable research on how occupants interact with their environments.
- How advancements in mobile sensing technology allow researchers to extend living lab capabilities into the real world.
- How innovative multidisciplinary applications can improve the experience of built environment occupants.
- Privacy and ethical considerations for living lab research.
- Any other related topics.
The workshop will consist of short paper presentations and discussions, poster presentations and networking, and breakout sessions discuss the future of living lab research. Our goal is to grow the living lab community within CHI.
We welcome submissions for paper and poster presentations. Position paper and poster submissions:
- must be in SIGCHI Extended Abstract Format (Link)
- must not exceed five pages (papers) and three pages (posters)
- should be emailed as a PDF file to email@example.com with subject line “CHI 2018 Living Lab Workshop”.
At least one author of each accepted submission must attend the workshop and all participants must register for the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.
Submission Deadline (Extended): February 15, 2018 11:59pm (Anywhere in the world)
Acceptance Notification: February 22, 2018
Program Announcement: February 28, 2018
Workshop: April 22, 2018