I solve Software Engineering problems to improve programmer productivity and software quality. Previously, I did research and development on automated testing and debugging, and dynamic analysis for configurable systems. Currently, I am working on my dissertation research which is focused on improving the usability of static analysis tools using Machine Learning.
- Successfully defended my dissertation, Oct 2019
- Accepted a job offer from Amazon for Alexa Privacy Engineering, Nov 2019
- Ugur Koc and Cemal Yilmaz, "Approaches for Computing Test Case-Aware Covering Arrays", Journal of Software Testing, Verification, and Reliability (STVR), 2018, e1689.
- Gulsen Demiroz, Ugur Koc, and Cemal Yilmaz, "Cost Model Discovery for Combinatorial Interaction Testing", (to be submitted).
- Cemal Yilmaz, Sandro Fouche, Myra Cohen, Adam A. Porter, Gulsen Demiroz, Ugur Koc, “Moving Forward with Combinatorial Interaction Testing” IEEE Computer Magazine, 47(2): 37-45, Feb 2014
- Austin Mordahl, Jeho Oh, Ugur Koc, Shiyi Wei and Paul Gazzillo, "An Empirical Study of Real-World Variability Bugs Detected by Variability-Oblivious Tools", ESEC/FSE 2019 2019 27th ACM Joint Meeting on European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering, Pages 50-61
- Ugur Koc, Shiyi Wei, Jeffrey S. Foster, Marine Carpuat, and Adam A. Porter, "An Empirical Assessment of Machine Learning Approaches for Triaging Reports of a Java Static Analysis Tool", 2019 12th IEEE Conference on Software Testing, Validation and Verification (ICST) , 2019, Apr. 22-27, Xi'an, China.
- ThanhVu Nguyen, Ugur Koc, Javran Cheng, Jeffrey S. Foster, and Adam A. Porter, "iGen: Dynamic Interaction Inference for Configurable Software", 24th ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering, 2016
- Paul Gazzillo, Ugur Koc, ThanhVu Nguyen, Shiyi Wei, "Localizing Configurations in Highly-Configurable Systems", Challenge Case, The Systems and Software Product Line Conference, Sep 10-14, 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Ugur Koc, Parsa Saadatpanah, Jeffrey S. Foster, and Adam A. Porter, "Learning a Classifier for False Positive Error Reports emitted by Static Code Analysis Tools", The First ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Machine Learning and Programming Languages (MAPL 2017), Jun 2017, Barcelona Spain (talk)
- Zachary Reynolds, Abhinandan Jayanth, Ugur Koc, Adam Porter, Rajeev Raje and James Hill, "Identifying and Documenting False Positive Patterns Generated by Static Code Analysis Tools", Fourth International Workshop on Software Engineering Research and Industrial Practice, 2017.
- Ugur Koc and Cemal Yilmaz , “Augmenting Simulated Annealing for Test Case-Aware Covering Array Construction“, Computer Science Student Workshop (CSW ’13), Istanbul, Turkey, Apr. 2013 (poster)
- Ugur Koc, Gulsen Demiroz, and Cemal Yilmaz, “Event-Based Relative Debugging“, Computer Science Student Workshop (CSW ’12), Istanbul, Turkey, Apr. 2012
Ph.D. in Comp. Sci., University of Maryland, College Park, USA. GPA – 3.8/4, Expected: 2019
M.Sci. in Comp. Sci. and Eng., Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey. GPA – 3.8/4, 2014
Advisor: Associate Professor Cemal Yılmaz
B.Sci. in Comp. Eng., Fatih University, Istanbul, Turkey. GPA – 3.8/4, 2011
Awards & Honors
- Sabanci University, Teaching Assistant Awards, Second Place Winner Nov.’13
- Sabanci University, Teaching Assistant Incentive Award Feb. ’12, Nov. ’12, Feb. ’13, Nov. ’13
- Sabanci University, Teaching Assistant Awards, Fifth Place Winner Nov. ’12
- CSW ’3, Best Presentation Award Apr. ’12
- Fatih University, The Degree of Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering with High Honors Jun. '11
- Fatih University, High Honors Certificate in 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th, 8th Semesters ’07, ’08, ’09, ’10, ’11
- Fatih University, Honors Certificate in 3rd, 4th Semesters ’08,’09
- Fatih University, Java Programming Computation, Second Place Winner ’09
- Mevlana Anatolian High School, Graduated with High Honors Jun. ’07
Fellowships & Grants
- ACM/SIFSOFT CAPS travel funding to attend FSE 2016, $800.00
- NSF funding to join Sixth Summer School on Formal Techniques, max $750.00
- TUBITAK, Bideb International PhD Fellowship, Dec. ’13, max $120000.00
- Sabanci University, Full Scholarship Sep, ’11, 62.000TL
- Fatih University, Superior Achievement Scholarship Aug. '07, 64.000TL
- Turkish Goverment, Prime Minister Scholarship Nov. '07
Research & Teaching
- May 2015 - Present, Graduate Research Assistant, University of Maryland, College Park.
- Reducing False Alarms of Static Code Analysis Tools
- Interaction analysis for configuration options of configurable systems
- Aug 2014 - May 2015, Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Maryland, College Park.
Assisted Courses: Introduction to Computer Systems (CMSC 216), Object-Oriented Programming II (CMSC 132)
- Sep 2011– Jan 2014, Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, Sabanci University, Istanbul.
Assisted Courses: Introduction to Programming (CS 201), Advanced Programming (CS 204), Data Structures (CS 202), Calculus I & II (MATH 101 & 102)
- May-Aug 2016, Graduate R&D Intern, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Burbank, CA.
- Efficient sparse matrix assembly
- Mar-Aug 2014, Software Engineer, Logo, Istanbul.
- J-guar ERP System Development
- Jun 2011 – Mar 2014, Software Engineer, i2i Systems, Istanbul.
- BSCS integration Asiacell, Iraq; SOI development and data migration
- Partner Relationship Manager development
- Feb-Jun 2011, Computer Networks Intern, KuvetTurk, Istanbul.
- KuveytTurk Network Traffic Map
I am now a certified BodyPump instructor at RecWell UMD, hurray! I am leading 4 classes in the Fall 2019.