Clever powers technology in the classroom and gives software applications a platform to easily connect with schools and gives districts a central location to manage all of their learning resources. It keeps learning applications synced in real-time and gives students and teachers an easy-to-use, personalized, one-login experience.
Clever products include:
- Secure Sync–a rostering tool that automatically creates and updates student and teacher accounts in learning software;
- Clever Portal–student and teacher portal that supports single sign-on for all learning resources and gives each user a customized experience—at no cost; and
- Clever Badges–a fast and fun way for K-3 students to log in to learning software—no typing necessary. Clever Badges are available for students in grades K-3 in Portland Public Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
New Chromebook Login Screen
How do I log in to a Chromebook?
The login page for all PPS Chromebooks is changing Nov. 28. Most students and staff have one additional click to log in, using the left-hand side of the screen as shown above.
Why did we make this change?
This change was made to support Clever Badges for our youngest students so they can log in more quickly and access education technology.
Can you change my login experience back to how it was?
No, this change affects all Chromebooks in our district and we are not able to exclude specific devices at this time.
What else changed? Do I still have my programs? Does this work from home?
Other than one additional click in the login experience, there are no other impacts from this change. You can still use the Chromebook in the exact same way you were using it before.
What if I don’t see the new login screen?
Click the refresh button (circular arrow) several times in the top-right corner of the old login screen.
What if I get a prompt that says “enter your old password” on the login screen?
Click on “forgot password” and “proceed anyway”.
My Chromebook went to sleep and I can't log back in. What do I do?
This issue occurs because you are logging in by clicking NEXT instead of Sign in with a different account. Restart the device and click on Sign in with a different account.
Why is the webcam turning on?
If you notice that the webcam is activating, you have clicked NEXT instead of the link Sign in with a different account. Remember, ONLY K-3 students using a Clever Badge can login by clicking NEXT on the right side. The webcam is not taking pictures or recording video, but is waiting to scan the Clever Badge that K-3 students use to log in.
What is Clever?
Clever is a tool that keeps learning applications synced in real-time and gives students and teachers an easy-to-use, personalized, one-login experience.
What are Clever Badges?
Clever Badges are graphic login codes that provide a more streamlined login experience for our K-3 students, allowing more time to focus on content, and less time logging on.
When can I get Clever Badges?
Clever Badges have been provided for all K-3 students in all K-5, K-8 and K-12 schools.
Where can I get Clever Badges?
Initial badges for all K-3 students were provided by the central office during winter break 2017. Teachers will be able to access the Clever dashboard to replace a badge or add one for a new student. At least one or two other staff in your building will also have school-wide access.
How can I keep my Badges secure?
Here’s a few tips on how to keep your Badges secure.
- Limit the number of people who have access to the Badges PDF file. Don’t store the file in a location where people who don’t need it can access it, like a district- or school-wide file share.
- Permanently delete the PDF file (e.g. empty the recycle bin) after you have printed it.
- Emails are usually transmitted without encryption. Generally speaking, we encourage you to never email anyone an image of a badge. If you do email Badges PDF files, be aware that they may be viewable. For more information, please see Wikipedia’s article on email privacy.
- Keep Clever Badges in the classroom. To access applications outside of school, students can manually log in at your district’s portal URL.
- Invalidate lost Badges as soon as possible to prevent unauthorized logins.
- Don’t let students take pictures of their Clever Badge or borrow badges from one another.
Can I use Clever Badges with other laptops or tablets?
Currently, Clever Badges are only for use with district Chromebooks, but Clever is running a pilot with Windows 10 machines. Students and teachers can log into Clever on iPads via the Clever Instant Login app. See more information here.
How do I use and manage Clever Badges if I am a teacher who has access to them?
What should I do with the badges at the end/beginning of the school year?
At the end of the school year, all badges should be collected and placed in a secure location for the summer. For the beginning of the new school year, each individual school shall manage the redistribution of badges for K-3 students. Badges that are no longer needed can be voided (link to directions) and you can print out badges for new students (link to directions). If you need extra badge holders and lanyards for new students they may be left over from the original distribution to your building. You may also purchase the same lanyard/badge sets from Amazon.
Contact Melissa Lim, firstname.lastname@example.org, with questions.
- Links to PPS Teacher & Student Portal (to access Clever)
- Clever User Guide for Teachers
- Clever Badges for K-3 Teacher User Guide (PDF)
- Clever Badges: How to Login to Chromebook Poster
- Clever Badges Support for Teachers
- Managing Clever Badges as a School Tech Lead (for librarians and TechSmart)
- New Chromebook Login Screen poster
- New Chromebook Login & Clever FAQ (PDF)