"It is the spirit and not the form of law that keeps justice alive."
- Earl Warren, US Jurist
Happy #SummerOfMOVE 2019 - today is the OFFICIAL first day of summer, so that means it's time to get this game started. With that in mind - here are a couple of the first bits you'll need to understand:
1. Communication: There will be 2 methods of communications this year (1) the workplace app is our preference, simply tag "@freetheyoke" on any post and we will have the best chance of seeing it and responding quickly and (2) email - this can be used, however with the number of emails that come and go during this competition, it's not the fastest way to get a response. Other - occasionally we get participants DM'ing over twitter or FB. We can't guarantee a response if you use this method.
2. DRAFT: After all rosters, merges and pre-game was set, there were 6 players who were listed as draft eligible and 3 players (who go as a unit) who were listed on teams that were not able to field a full roster of 10. At approximately 530P ET on the first day of the Summer solstice the CEOx will host the 2019 Draft. The following list is the DRAFT order based on a 5X randomization where each new team was given 2 potential slots. Any team that does not attend the draft in the time they are called will lose their slot and the CEOx will assign remaining players using a second random draw of all teams.
Guats Up Gang
Guats Up Gang
3. GAME PLAY - the 2019 game is a "next step" in our mission to bring the benefits of MOVE to the masses. Players will unlock team challenges by helping others (family, friends, clients, patients, random-passers-by) to understand what their current fitness is and the value in improving/maintaining/etc......that is.....by testing them and sharing the information you receive. Teams will utilize the 2019 tracker to log a test. Each time 10 UNIQUE tests (i.e. you may test a person x1 for credit) are logged a new challenge will be unlocked and sent to the entire team to begin working on. Teams may download challenges and begin working on them prior to the completion of a previously downloaded challenge, however points will only be awarded AFTER the challenge a challenge has been downloaded AND completed. Any attempts to complete or submit a challenge prior to it being unlocked will be met with wrath and disgust of particularly cranky Oxen.....and zero points.
4. AVAILABLE TESTS - the Oxen have selected 6 different fitness tests that can be used including:
- Sit to Stand (for ages 60+) - VIDEO HERE
- 6 Min Walk Test (for ages 60+) - VIDEO HERE
- YMCA 3 minute step test (for ages 18+) - VIDEO HERE
- Rockport Walk test (for ages 18+) - DIRECTIONS HERE
- 20 m "Beep Test" (PACER) Test (for ages 9-17) - Beep Audio HERE
- Cooper 12 min walk/run test (for ages 20+) - VIDEO HERE
Players may ONLY used sanctioned tests. If a player would like to suggest a test be included, s/he can send the test to the Oxen, but must include a reasonable reference showing the test is valid and proper stratification of fitness (e.g. High, Med, Low or Above Average, Average, At-Risk, Severe-Risk, etc). Tests that provide an absolute value (e.g. VO2Max or sustainable METS) are welcomed, however, in order to be included must include a logic that can stratify values based on reasonable population norms.
5. GENERAL PRINCIPLE - If it doesn't say you can't, assume you can.
6. ON CHALLENGES -
All challenges are team challenges. Meaning any/all members can work for the total number the challenge asks. If the challenge says 7 active commutes - it's 7, total. If the challenge asks 1350 calories it's 1350, total.
Each challenge is worth a certain number of points. The harder the challenge the more points it's worth. There is nothing that stops a player from submitting for a challenge after it has been completed. We of course don't recommend it as the points are capped at the max total.....i.e. no "extra credit"....so all those efforts will be zeroed out.....but it can certainly be done.
For efficiency we suggest you work together as a team.....that is, coordinate your effort ("all we need is 7 commutes, who can do one?") and compile the challenge into 1 single post (on workplace) and submit the link (the tracker). The Oxen certainly prefer this and it'll lower the odds you've done lots of extra work that won't count.
HOWEVER points are also normalized by roster size.....if a team of 10 completes a challenge it will be worth more than if a team of 20 completes the same challenge. This counterbalances the fact that that CRF tests unlock challenges at a rate of 1 per 10 completed. Those teams that've done 40 CRF tests have unlocked 4 challenges.
There will be some people on each team that can log a ton of CRF tests.....others will be challenge completion machines.....the teams that do both well will win.
NO DOUBLE DIPPING - you may NOT use 1 effort for 2 materially similar challenges. For example using 1 biking effort ("I biked 20 miles") for 2 different challenges that require cycling miles is NOT allowed. You MAY however use 1 effort for 2 challenges that are materially different. For example "I lifted 1000 lbs" and "while doing I burned 500 calories" could be used for both a lifting challenge AND a calorie burn challenge.
New in 2019 - The Benefactor
The benefactor category was designed for those folks who want to support the effort but either aren't quite sure they're ready for what the Oxen have in mind OR....they're quite sure they're not but are totally into watching from inside the arena. For a small donation to the cause ($10) the benefactor gets an all-access pass to the "inside". They get the app and can follow along live from within the game. Although there might (might!) be ways for inspired-benefactors to come to the aid of teams in need at some point during the game [foreshadowing] there is no requirement to do so.
The Oxen STRONGLY recommend teams recruit benefactors.
To sign-on as a benefactor, one only needs to complete the registration process HERE and select that item.