Diversity, Equity, and Justice

Equity and Inclusion Statement

Ann Arbor Academy is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and equitable learning experience for our students. A commitment to equity and inclusion is an integral component of academic excellence and social development. We celebrate and explore differences in experience based on, but not limited to, racial, socioeconomic, gender, sexuality, physical ability, and religious diversity. We promote acceptance of learning differences and disabilities, and celebrate the many positive experiences and viewpoints that diversity in all its forms brings to our school community.

Community Standards and Norms

  • Members of the Ann Arbor Academy school community, led by the faculty and including administrators, students, parents, volunteers, and members of the Board of Trustees, are expected to model and uphold the standards and norms listed here.
  • Uphold the mission of the school in the interactions you have with other members of the school community.
  • Place the safety and well-being of students foremost in policy and action.
  • Promote a culture of dignity, equity, and respect for all members of the school community.
  • Remember that a culture of dignity, equity, and respect is one that does not tolerate discrimination, harassment, threats, or bullying, and which seeks to protect and magnify the needs of community members who may need additional support due to disability, race, religion, gender expression, sexuality, or other minority status.
  • Remember that each member of the school community has their own unique, lived experience. Listen to understand, and to learn.

Diversity

We have graduated over 100 students since 2001, and have had hundreds more students who came to us for a few years, then transferred to a larger school. Approximately 85% of our graduates continue on to college. The remaining 15% of graduates enter some form of post secondary training or job development program.


Equity

Our curriculum was designed for students with average to above average intelligence who are not able to learn and succeed in a traditional school environment, but we often have a few students with below average IQ as well, because our program is flexible and can be adapted to fit a range of student learning needs.

Justice

Students who often fall through the cracks in larger settings without specialized teaching methodologies are commonly perceived as lazy or confrontational, unable to succeed.The Academy focuses on identifying the academic and social needs of each child it educates. We are a diagnostic and prescriptive program that helps children build on their strengths.