Empowering grassroot people of Sundarbans, through RTI (Right to Information) act
State: West Bengal
The Right to Information Bill, 2005 was passed by the Lok Sabha on 11th May 2005 and by the Rajya Sabha on 12th May 2005 and received the Presidential assent on 15th June 2005. Freedom of information has many benefits. It facilitates public participation in public affairs by providing access to relevant information to the people who are then empowered to make informed choices and better exercise their democratic rights.
· Conduct village meetings, engage locals’ clubs to spread awareness of citizens right
· Make grassroot folks aware of their various rights e.g., RTE (Right to education), Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, laws against child marriage, old age pension, 100 days’ work through NIGERA, the forest preservation act, etc.
· Help people file application and guide them through the system of GOVT. office
· Identify local club, village leaders , train them about RTI and engage them for community assistance
· Follow up the applications already filed in RTI to help people get Old age pension, widow’s pension etc.
· Street theater and local culture programme inclusion, Organize awareness rally